Finding newts

B

benjamin

There seem to be many people on this site who are relatively skilled at finding newts. I've gone on many trips to europe and occasionally stopped on the side of the road to over turn rocks and logs or look into ponds and have not found anything. The only times I've found newts in the wild have been in ponds during the breeding season, and sometimes hibernating in my cellar. Could I have some tips on finding these animals next time I pass a stream, a pond, or a pile of junk.

If it's any consolation, I have the same affliction. The problem is that there are a lot of streams, ponds, and piles of junk with no newts in them. I think the keys are (1) going to places where other people have found newts (2) having a 6th sense for the kinds of areas most likely to have any, and (3) being there at the right time of year and/or right weather. After that it's just luck.

I think you can find newts only in places where it is truly wild...if you know what I mean. Of course, such places are very uncommon. I'm pretty sure there are some exceptions to this, but I doubt sallies would do as well as, say, toads, around cities. Even then, toads still get ran over and still are affected by pollution.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on September 20, 2004)

One of the few places I have found these animals is in my very basement (which is very run down and filled with rotting card board where they like to hibernate).

Here in upstate New York there are loads of N. viridescens. I walk in the woods during a light rain or just after more intense rain and find literally hundreds of efts and terrestrial adults. Sunday I found 246 on one side of a stream, and I would have found more, but I could not cross the water (residue of hurricane Ivan). If you ever visit the Northeast USA, just walk in one of the state parks on a rainy day. My girlfriend and I have been keeping a tally of efts since March. In November I'll release the final count.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back