View Full Version : Shipping some larva

9th February 2007, 05:26
I am going to be shipping some Cp larva soon and I want to make sure I do it right. I have been hoarding water bottles to mail the larva in. The bottles are about 20oz, or 1/2liter. The baby newts are about an inch long, and I am hoping that I can ship 3 to a bottle, overnight. For those of you with experience in shipping larva - will this be adequate, or do I need to go with bigger bottles, or fewer larva per bottle? Any advice, info, etc is much appreciated.
Thanks, Heather

(Message edited by jennewt on February 09, 2007)

9th February 2007, 08:07
Hi Heather,
did you read this article: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/shipping.shtml
on Caudata Culture?

9th February 2007, 18:43
My only concern is the age/size of the larvae. At one inch long, they may be close to metamorphosis. If so, they may already be breathing air to some extent, and cannot be bottled. I would suggest either sending younger larvae, or waiting until they morph and shipping then. Your basic method sounds fine, though. Be sure to do your homework regarding shipping time for Express Mail - some zip codes get 2-day Express Mail, not overnight.

10th February 2007, 01:50
I measured the larva again, and only the oldest (which I am planning on keeping myself) are that long. The rest are 1/2 inch or under, and their rear legs are just nubs. Do you think these younger/smaller larva would be ok in the bottles I described above? Oh, and I am looking into the zip codes of the interested parties regarding overnight express. Thanks for the help - it is much appreciated!

10th February 2007, 03:00
Yes, the smaller ones will be fine.

14th February 2007, 04:17
Sorry to bump this thread again but I have another question about shipping. Some of the people who are interested in getting some larva live in areas that are two days out by Express mail, and the cost of Fedexing, UPS, etc are very high - I was quoted $85 to ship overnight from Salt Lake to Kentucky! So for these folks that live two days out - is shipping Express completely out of the question? I have never shipped anything alive in the mail, only received, but to me it doesn't sound like a good idea. But I decided to take it to the experts and see if someone with more experience could shed some light on the subject. Thanks for any input,

14th February 2007, 05:46
That's the problem with Express Mail. Options to consider:

Ask if the recipient can drive somewhere that does get overnight Express Mail - they might have a relative in a nearby city, for example, that could receive the package for them and pour the larvae into a bowl until they get there.

Waiting until the larvae morph. There is much less risk for morphs surviving 2-day shipping.