Bad day.....

P

paris

in case anyone ever feels that 'serious' keepers are in anyway definable'experts'(what really is an expert anyways?-nobody can know everything on any subject) or infallible (or however its spelled) let me tell you how my day went. the large female tiger that i found two weeks ago had been sick/bloated since i found her and she died some time since yesterday. i am unsure what happened to her-but i currently have access to the bio lab-so a dissection will be in the cards tonight. i couldnt find my main supply of batryl-so she only got 2 treatments, i had her in the fridge to slow down her metabolism. i moved her to my store at 60F and gave her a full treatment 2 days ago but upon inspection before she was treated she expelled several eggs and a green mass with blood when i pressed on her belly- i knew she was bad off so if that had been all i'd just have to say 'thats the way it is' BUT then i decided to bring in some of my new fire morphs to school to show the teachers/students what they looked like now (they were born on campus) well while i was showing them in their container off to one teacher in particular i had lifted the little log i had over them to let her see them-i said'there are 8 in there'-she pointed out there were only 7, so i thought i had miscounted and went on talking.............i now know always to look for the missing one! but it cost me a life. it must have been on that log and dropped to the floor-and i stepped directly on it....im feeling worse as the day goes on, but honestly its a quicker death that the ones that are lost to dessication from the times i have forgotten to close a lid properly (that is a stupid mistake that i have REPEATED!). still...i know we all make mistakes and i seem to do more than others since i am a bit scatterbrained but the only comfort i can find is i hopefully will not make that one again and by telling others perhaps prevent a similar event from happening to them.

it sucks that you had a bad day paris and hope the days to come are better. after all it cant rain all the time.
Wolfie

hey if it rained all the time there would be lots of salamanders everywhere!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back