Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping two salamanders together

A

andy

I'm thinking about joining my two salamander tanks (both 2.5 ft x 1.5ft x 8 inches high) with a pvc tube. I'm concerned about the size difference of the two animals (8inches+ and 5 inches) the big one is female and the little one is currently unsexable. Will the big one attack the little one? I this a bad idea? thanks

P

paris

brian-she is in australia and has 2 morphed axolotls. i have not kept them myself, muchless morphed ones-so i dont know how agressive of feeders they are on land. if they are like tiger sals in behaviour then it might go ok, but even my tigers occasionally will take a tail tip off each other-and they are the same sizes...are they hand fed or do you just release food into the tank for them? if the former then i'd say go for it, if they eat free roaming food they might be reflexive feeders and then it would probably be a bad idea-at least untill the smaller one catches up in size.

A

andy

ahhh paris andy is short for andrew! They are hand fed but i think i'll let the little one grow an inch before putting them together

J

jesper

Muhahahaha.......sry
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1