Bamboo

E

elisabeth

Does anyone know if bamboo is safe to put in tanks? And if so, has anyone tried it before?
The reason I ask is because I have a few stocks, and I'm thinking of adding them.

I'm assuming the you are referring to that "bamboo" that you can buy just about anywhere to put on tables or whatever. In that case, it's actually dracenia or something like that, and yess it should be fine with newts.

~Aaron

Yes, that's the botanical name for it.
So far I haven't seen any info that would say that it wouldn't be ok, but I just wanted to make sure.

I had a "Lucky Bamboo" (Dracaena sanderiana) in my large tank for over a year. They can't be completely submerged, since they need air circulation around the leaves. Mine stuck out above the water surface by about 4". It looked great, until one day it turned yellow and mushy and died. I still don't know why - I think it was just under too much water (usually you just plant them with the roots and bottom of the stalk in a bowl of water and rocks), but I also know that the two I have potted on my windowsill like a LOT of aquatic-plant fertilizer (which I never used in my newt tank, because I didn't know if it was safe for the little guys).

So, there ya go, FWIW. Hope that helps a bit
happy.gif

Cool, thanks. That's good to know. I just put them in and watch them carefully.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back