Shipping larvae in CC

J

joseph

I noticed that it mentioned to fill the soda bottle all the way up with water. I don't think that is too good of an idea. When people ship fish, the often put as little water as possible in the bags(as air holds more oxygen than water)and then pump the bags with pure oxygen. Having less water comes with the higher risk of temperature changes however. I also wonder if small larvae, should the container be rocked, end up stranded high and dry on the walls.

Thanks!

Caudates are a lot more tolerant of low oxygen content than fish. This is why using carbon dioxide is not an acceptable method of euthanasia.

The logic with the full bottle is that the larvae don't get tumbled around as violently as they would with water + air. And, as kaysie mentioned, they just don't need a whole lot of oxygen to make it for one day.

However, I lost a batch of larvae recently (some axolotls and some firebellies) when the shipment took 2 days. So I have some misgivings about the "full bottle" method now. From now I on I plan to use half-full ziplock bags or bottles.

I always use half full. If it's axolotls I put an ice pack in the box. I think to many people ship their stuff to last 1 day. I try to pack in a way that the animals will last 3 days. When the post office goofs up usually the animals are still fine.

Won't Ziplocks stand a chance of bursting? I know of one guy who received some fish from someone else-in "breather bags". Both times they popped during shipment, but the fish managed to survive the second time. I think the bags they use for fish at petstores would be more sturdy than ziplocks, but double bagging is still best.

I received my two 1st lotls via post.

They were dispatched evening before (5pm) and came by carrier post. They were delivered 7am next morning. In the box was a polystyrene (450x300x300) container that held a thick polythene bag with no space to rattle about. The bag was actually 2 one inside other and knotted then tied with plastic cable-ties. The bags were half water half air.

The axies were in excellent condition and ate within the hour of being put into te tank.

Quick delivery and strong packaging is a must in my opinion.

hi mikki
can you tell me how much it cost doing it that way.
thanks tony.

Well I just checked the site I got them from and it's been updated since then. However it now states 19.99 quid plus ripoff VAT per consignment. So best buying a few to offset the cost.

The site says they have 15 axies available for 15 quid each (plus VAT...omg this country does nothing but tax people...and my patience). If you want the site addy email me.

Mikki: Thats called double bagging. Should the inner bag burst a leak, the other has a chance to keep the water in.

I know thx, I was tying to explain to others how they were packed without using jargon. Cheers anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back