Most expensive salamander or newt

G

gord

Caudata Community:

A recent road trip allowed me to check pet stores in a wide variety of areas in southern and northern Ontario.

Noticed a few things.Many of the nicest herp shops were in the smaller communities. In fact, the newts I ended up buying were in rather small communities.

The prices of salamanders and newts varied widely.I bought 2 taricha for $12 each..which was pretty reasonable. In most shops, taricha were $20 to $25...although none seemed to be in stock.

In another shop..I found two c.cyanurus in very good shape. but they were more then double what I paid for the taricha! I have no idea if they were wild caught or not, but wow! Yet I paid it since I've never seen them before.I think I paid too much but...they are gorgeous.

In another shop there was a lone fire salamander for $80.That seemed very steep..and i didn't want to shell out.

Yet I've never paid more than $25 for shanjing or other tylos which seem to me much more rare.

So what is the most expensive newt or salamander..and why does it seem like some species (like c.orientalis)are usually cheap?

I should stay I did see one shop with c.orientalis for $12.99!

Thoughts?

Gord

i dont know about expensive but my freinds shop sells a crested newt for 125.00 bucks - ish
seems enough for a newt!

Hi...

125.- USD for ONE crested newt ?????

Who the hell is gonna pay that price for a crested newt ? ?

The most expensive salamanders here in Germany I´ve seen, has been (Baby)Tigers for ~35,-USD and i know from adult Salamandra s. gigliolii sold for ~190,- USD. But for a crested newt ??? Not more than 22,- USD. The "normal" Fired Salamander (Salamandra s. salamandra or terrestris) are sold for 12,- to 48,- USD. Dependent on their age and largeness.

Greetings from Germany, Andy

I'm interested in the reaction to the $125 for the crested newt.Is that really out of line for a newt like that in North America? I've never seen one for sale in Canada and might be tempted!I'd be interested in knowing what a"common" North American newt like taricha granulosa goes for in europe.

GE

How about 5000.00 + for Albino Andrias in Hong Kong....................

Gord: i'm not sure on the continent, but in Britain there have been a few Taricha torosa for sale at £50 a pair.

I've seen albino tiger salamanders for sale for 1000.00 ea. I don't think they sold any. Rare newts and salamanders top out at about 100.00 to 125.00 in the U.S. The market is fluid. I understand Cynops cyanurus were once expensive in the U.S. They are now available for 20.00 or less. I've seen Pachyhonobius priced from 20.00 to 125.00.

Wow....$1000 bucks! Yikes.

I recently paid just over 30 Cdn for cyanurus..and that seemed steep.

What do Kweichow go for these days?

GE

Theres such a variety in petshops near you guys, we have 1 petshop near us that only sells Hongkongs for £7.99 ea. and another which i can't identify for £10.99 ea. all are wild caught.

It's tough to say what kweichows go for. It depends on if their is an influx of wild caught this year or not. Last year wild caught went for 20.00 to 45.00 ea, and captive bred went for 75.00 ea.

last time Kweichowensis were available in the UK they went for between £70 to £80 retail.

Wow....$20 shanjing and verrucosus seem ridiculously cheap compared to that! Kweichowensis ARE beautiful though..and I'd be sorely tempted if I saw them in a shop here...though I'd have to swallow hard to drop that kind of cash.

GE

In Germany we have P. laoensis for about 300€ / animal. I think this are the most expensive newts sold in public, here.

Just was cruising the net and came across one Florida outfit that had various salamanders and newts for sale. One taricha granulosa was listed as $49.99 US. A Jefferson salamander at the same price. I'm really amazed at the variability of the prices for amphibians. I've seen the same thing for Pac Man frogs..as high as $50 US. Although I bought one a couple years back for $20 at Super Pet ( I've probably fed it $1000 worth of nightcrawlers!).

GE

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Michael Shrom on Friday 19 May 2006 - 18:57 (#POST96003):</font>

I've seen albino tiger salamanders for sale for 1000.00 ea.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

You saw that too huh? That was pretty outrageous.

Yea. The 1000.00 salamander looked like some I purchased for about 25.00 or 30.00 ea. a year or so earlier.

Yeah, it definitely seemed like someone's wild attempt at conning someone who wouldn't have known any better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back