Neurula Surgery

R

richard

I seem to remember reading somewhere that an Axolotl embryo could be sliced between the neural crest and neural plate and parts interchanged with a different embryo to end up with an Axolotl with, for example, a wildtype colored head and a white colored body. Can anyone tell me when this was done or by whom? Has anyone ever seen an Axolotl like this?

That would be very very interesting - to me at least but I know nothing about it. If thats possible, is it possible to cross species?

there's a post under specific species, axolotls about just this thing, titled 'half & half axies'.

no, its notpossible to cross species

Sounds kinda Mary Shelley to me... (Frankenstein).
errr.gif
And risky.... but yeah I guess that's what science is all about these days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back