Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long can larvae live without food?

J

jesper

The larvae in question are about a month old.
They have plenty of food in their tank but you never know, so I try to calculate from the worst possible scenario.... I get to plan my holiday around them it seems. A week?

Valid argument to flee from annoying relatives?
My larvae are starving!

J

jennifer

Do you still have daphnia? Or maybe some other live food? If so, then you might be able to get away for a week. Unfortunately, "larvae" and "vacation" don't get along very well.

J

jesper

Really how's that?
My larvae has been very little work, I just keep them in very shallow containers with Daphnia in. The Daphnia reproduce and the larvae eat the babies. Self-sustaining system more or less, I do add some Daphnia every now and then and change the water maybe once every week or so(if they are lucky - after all they are pond-dwellers). My only concern thus far has been feeding the Daphnia.

Yes the "tank" has Daphnia. I just need to know how long they would last if the Daphnia decided to drop dead an hour after my departure.

A

alan

Do a water change the day before if you leave, then add plenty (not a huge excess) of live food such as Daphnia. At a month old, they should be fine for one week. Two weeks would be pushing it.

E

edward

Cool them down, drop the temp slowly before you leave into the very low 60s (16 C or so) or even into the high 50s (14 C or so) slowing down thier metabolic needs (for both the daphnia and the larva).
Afterwards warm them up to normal (again very slowly) about a degree or so a day.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!