Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Global Amphibian Assessment

mike

Reaction score
This very useful tool is now available on the web:http://www.globalamphibians.org/index.html
The Global Amphibian Assessment (GAA) is the first-ever comprehensive assessment of the conservation status of the world's 5,743 known species of frogs, toads, salamanders, and caecilians. This website presents results of the assessments, including IUCN Red List threat category, range map, ecology information, and other data for every amphibian species.

Search the GAA database for species by name, taxonomy, country, region, habitat type, threat type, or IUCN Red List status.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mike,
I got that address from Herpdigest. I was playing with the site a little yesterday. It's pretty nice. Using this site and the CITES site should give us some good info on subjects people are always speculating about. It will help us to understand what animals are under the biggest threat. The CITES site will give a little more info on restrictions.

mike

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
Yes agreed, these two sites combined with the various organizations from the Links section are a mine of information.
I too got this info from Herpdigest, and committed the cardinal sin of not crediting the source: Al Saltzberg,.... it was 02:55 after all when I posted, and I may have been a little bit under the affluence of incahol.
It is Xmas after all, or is it New Year?.....I forget.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Honest ociffer I'm not under the alfluence of incahol though many thinkle peep I am. We used to say that back in the day. Now I'm a tea toteler.

I enjoy Herpdigest. Now I have to decide if I'm going to pay for it or not.

B

benjamin

Wow, never knew that people ate Cynops orientalis orientalis in china! There's not that much animal to eat.

mike

Reaction score
Well Mike I'm in that quandary too.....Al promises more information, and news as it breaks, so improving the weekly bulletins.
I think that I shall subscribe to the new service, or better still perhaps you will, and forward the contents on to me.
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1