Info on sal diseases, treatments

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Found some useful medical info in a book called; Captive Management and Conservation of Amphibians and Reptiles (1994)

...under a chapter called:

Procedures for Setting Up and Maintaining a Salamander Colony
By Edward J. Maruska (Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden)

7264.jpg

7265.jpg

7266.jpg

I know it's a bit difficult to read
dizzy.gif
but that's as large as I could make the print given the photo size restrictions now in force here.

Considering the scarcity/inavailability of info about effective treatments, I thought this might help us out. But it's been almost a decade since it was written, so there's probably much (?) more info out there. I'd sure like to see it compiled all in one place for easy reference, analysis and discussion. If anybody happens to have anything, please contribute it
wink.gif

I'd also like to see an expansion/elaboration of the useful treatment info at Caudate Central, including simplifications and clarifications for dummies like me on things like how to properly prepare a salt bath or Ringers solution and tackle problems like bloat (not talking about preventative steps here). Maybe a paper on the advisability of cooling an ailing animal, for example. Why not even ask some veterinary experts or zookeepers to voluntarily contribute an article or two?

Also, I think many people who use this site might not know about our very own webmaster John C.'s EXCELLENT info on axoltl health and diseases, located at:

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl/health.htm

I, for one, overlooked this, which is packed with info, including a list of safe, semi-safe and unsafe products. The information in it is intended for axoltls, but would also be applicable for many other caudates, I guess.

I seem to recall the Indiana University Axolotl Colony also had a good article about health issues in one of their old newsletters that I printed out but can't find.

Amphibians: Guidelines for the breeding, care, and management of laboratory animals

A Report of the Subcommittee on Amphibian Standards Committee on Standards Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources National Research Council

National Academy of Sciences (1996)

http://bob.nap.edu/html/amphibian/nine.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back