Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Glass repair and yellow water?

J

j

I was curious what type of glass I should use to repair my lid on my tank. Also what does it mean when your water has a slight yellow tint? thank you very much

J

jennifer

It's usually safer, and often cheaper, to just buy a new glass lid. Any kind of plate glass of the correct thickness should be fine.

Yellow tint usually means that you added driftwood to your tank. If not, then it could be caused by decaying plants. Have you tested the nitrate (etc.)?

B

ben

Like Jennifer said, tan coloured water results from tannins released from either un-seasoned driftwood or from contact with soil. Try adding activated carbon to your filter, as this works wonders for the discolourations and lowered pH.

J

j

Thank you for the advice! I did have some old plants in there and just took them out and added some carbon to my filter. As far as the glass goes, all I need is a2 small pieces to silicone the one big piece back together, so I was just curious if I should use tempered glass or fiber-glass. Thank you very much for the advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!