Use of fine-grain sand

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Having long kept my newts in "bare-bottomed" tanks, I've recently started experimenting with the use of fine-grain sand after hearing that even if some grains are swallowed during feeding, they pass through the body without ill effect. Who knows, maybe they even help in digestion? (something like the dogs-grass-hairball thing perhaps?) In the wild, some non-food matter undoubtedly finds its way into the digestive system. In fact, I've seen pictures of wild C.ensicauda semi-covered in fine sand while in the water. Any information or views on this subject would be appreciated
happy.gif

Hi Tim, this is a matter of opinion. Some people prefer gravel to sand or no bottom substrate at all (for easy cleaning). I think that especially larger aquatic animals will move (wander) around on the bottom much easier, when the ground is covered with sand (better traction i.e. for courtship). Also the colour of the sand influences greatly the colour of the animals respectively one's perception of it (matter of taste). I use sand instead of gravel because live food organisms wont be able to escape into interstitial crevices and superficial residue can be removed quite easily.
I never observed any negative effects.

Ralf

Heya Ralf, this is actually an idea I "acquired" from seeing pics of your tanks
smile6.gif

I'm using an underground filter in this 90cmx45x45 tank that accommodates over a dozen C.p and 3 C.e. I applied a thin layer of wool over the filter plates before pouring in the sand to prevent it from slipping through the slits and to provide extra room for "good" bacteria. Would you say I applied the sand on a little too thick here? Any other tips always appreciated!

5336.jpg

5337.jpg

I like sand for aquatics. I also use soil in terrariums (gasp). Seems to me that sand and soil occur in nature and that most amphibians and other beasties probably have seen it before. Astroturf and pine shavings on the other hand... well okay... not for salamanders but you get my drift.

Greg

Thanks guys. While scaling down my caudate collection, I'm committed now to sprucing up the environment for those that remain. Yep, the presence of sand should make the newts feel more "at home". It certainly looks better to me!

How about the sand depth here? I'm worried that the underground filter might not function properly if it's too deep.

Will slope the sand correctly and add a couple of moss filled corner shelves tonight before moving on to the next tank...

(Message edited by TJ on July 01, 2003)

(Message edited by TJ on July 01, 2003)

My only concern with your setup, Tim, is that sand doesn't allow enough water through it to allow the bacteria to properly colonize and take care of the ammonia/nitrite for you.

~Aaron

Ah hah, so I'd better keep a close watch on those ammonia/nitrite levels then. TKS! Despite the sand depth, the pump being used is a relatively strong one and water flow out of the corner tube thingy appears reasonable. But I suppose I should decrease the sand depth just in case. Do you use underground filters and gravel/sand in your tanks, Aaron?

I like the sand. My concern is that the fine sand and UG filter may turn out to be incompatible, regardless of the depth of the sand. It is possible that the thin layer of wool will not keep the fine sand from getting down under the filter plates. I don't wish to be a nay-sayer, but I have some doubts that the filtration will work long-term. Keep us posted!

I completely agree with Jen here. No matter what the depth, the sand will plug an undergravel filter.

I personally don't use sand or undergravel filters, just because of personal preference. I like my Eheim internal filters and then just use gravel as a substrate. Keep in mind, I have all of my tanks in my room, and I probably couldn't sleep with more than a dozen filters bubbling.
happy.gif

~Aaron

Aaron, you should see my experience with gravel in my yellowbelly sliders aquarium, I slept on the couch that night!

Sand and UG filters... why not a layer of fiberglass screening on top of the UG filter to help hold the sand in place? Why not also mix in some of that gravel. very few places in nature are all one size of sand grain or one type of gravel. Mix it up man.

My tanks that have sand in them also have gravel with one exception. I have a 30 extra high with Notophthalmus viridescens in it. The sand there is nearly the same as where I collected the animals and I also have live plants in it. The roots of the live plants seem to help with bacterial growth in the sand. That said, there are some anaerobic spots with black sand in them. I've since added live aquatic worms and a few other inverts that dig and much of the black sand has gone away.

greg

Well, if the filter outlet thingy
smile6.gif
is dispensing water, doesn't this mean that the water being dispensed has been pulled through the sand into the UG filter? Actually, there are three thin layers of wool between the filter and the sand, not just one, so that might make a difference. As you can tell, I'm still trying to convince myself -- against the odds? -- that this still might work
biggrin.gif

Aaron, I also like the Eheim internal filters and use them in a number of my tanks. But I recently bought an industrial size pump and am hoping to convert all my tanks to air -- partly to save on electricity as my monthly bill is around $250-300
errr.gif
(though that's mostly from keeping the room as cool as it is) and partly because internal filters raise the tank temp a couple of degrees (or so I've been led to believe)

I'd also like to hear what kind of filtration Ralf, Greg and others use in their sand tanks...

Good info Greg
happy.gif
(your post came in as I was composing my last one). It hadn't occurred to me yet -- duh... -- that with the sand in there I can now start adding live rooted plants!
bowl.gif
As for gravel, my initial concern was that it could be dangerous if accidently swallowed during the sometimes frenzied feeding sessions. But sand, I was told, is small enough to pass safely through the digestive system. Cheers

Hi Tim,
I use internal (mostly) and external filters of different brands with my "sand-setups". I siphon out debris from the sand surface, usually when performing water changes (one third every four weeks) done in turns with washing out the filter sponges.
I have also observed anaerobic dark spots in my setups which seem not to affect the setup negatively in any way.
I haven't used a lot of rooted plants in these setups except Vallisneria, which thrives quite well. Egeria will also grow roots when given the chance.

Ralf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back