Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Scuds as food!?

B

bri

So, I've had this water garden in the backyard for a number of years and earlier today I was harvesting some water plants for the aquarium and as I was washing them off I noticed small freshwater shrimp clinging to all of the plants. After a few more plants and scoops into the detritus I must have captured a couple hundred of these tiny freshwater shrimp. I did some research and discovered they're 'scuds' or 'sideswimmers.' They would seem to be perfect for small aquatic caudate food but I'm still a little cautious. Any experience with these little crustaceans? Cichlids love 'em.
Thanks.

K

keegan

Hi Bri,
Actually, we had a bit of a discussion on this a while back. It may be burried somewhere here.

I think the consensus was that they would be good, but the caution was that they may carry parasites. To aviod the parasites either
1) inspect each shrimp for abnormalities (A red colored dot or something, if I recall?)
2) culture them in a fishless environment for at least a generation.

If your water garden doesn't have fish/amphibs anyway, you are probably safe?

Keegan

P

paris

ive gotten them before from ponds and my alpines loved them-they seem to be a food that would excite them. my drawback was the water from the pond contained 'red' algae and that stuff just cloggs up a tank in no time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1