Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just bought two 50 gallon tanks for $30, any ideas?

N

nicholas

I don't know what to do with them. What can I do with tanks this size? Is it possible to breed Necturus? Some ideas would be great. I've got 7 juvenile Triturus montandoni, and 2 Ambystoma mavortium. I keep these species separate from each other in their own 20 gallon tanks. These 50 gallon tanks would be overkill for them , right? So what are some ideas? Get wild peeps!

(Message edited by xamphibiax on December 20, 2004)

S

sergé

It is a bit the wrong way round; you should start to think which animal you want to keep and why and than buy a tank ;-)
Now you have a big tank, well...you can keep whatever you want. Try to breed the Ambystoma mavortium, I think they need a big water habitat to breed...! (I still wonder why nobody breeds them in large quantitites).

N

nicholas

The tanks were such a good deal, couldn't pass tehm up up. I bought them from a guy who wasn't much of enthusiast, and just wanted them out of his hair. As far as the mavortium is concerned, I was told they've never been bred in captivity. If they can be, I'll give it a shot. I've got a male, and a female I think, but I've got to look into it to be sure. One of them is going to a friend, but when it comes time that they can breed, we'd house them together for until they do the damn thing. If the odds would be better with more mavortium, I'll try to seek some more out. Can they be bred in captivity? Know of any sources that state they can? I could seek teh internet myself, but I'd like input from a human, not old information. At least not while I've got the chance to talk to one, thanks.

A

alan

I'd start from where you are going to keep the tanks - what are the temperatures going to be year round? To some extent this might determine which species you might choose.

If I wanted to stir things up around here (!), I'd say they'd be good for Dendrobates!
proud.gif

M

marcus

Nicholas,

Any interest in having a setup for a few axies? I bet you could make 2 or 3 axies very happy in a setup of that size.

I have 5 T. Marmoratus in a 55 gallon tank right now. The advantage to this lies in that I can have one tank with both water and land. This way I don't have to have two separate setups for wintering the newts. Plenty of room to stretch their legs...
happy.gif

If your interested in animals, I think Dave posted in the Wanted and For Sale a while ago about some caudates that would make find Christmas presents...

Good luck and take care!

Marcus

N

nicholas

MARCUS...

Axolotls are a possibility. Though, I'd probably hold out, until I can get ahold of some Necturus, if I went in that direction. If all else fails, I don't mind storing the tanks, because eventually I could put them to good use. Thanks for the input though, greatly appreciated.

ALAN...

I'm from Michigan, so my house is about 70 degrees in winter, and 80 in the summer, and I'd knock down a wall in order to have a nice setup for some Caudates. Oh, I think I know what you meant... the tanks would probably be in my living room, or bedroom. The living room gets more sun than the bedroom. I could even put the tanks in my garage with a submersible heater to keep it from freezing solid, and use the winter as a cooling period for kicks. Though, I don't know if there are any heaters that can be set to 50 degrees or so.

ANDREW...

If an article comes out on how to breed mavortium, and I still have my tanks, I'd consider trying it. If it seems feasible. Thanks for the heads-up.

N

nicholas

Yeah, that's what I said in my mind (good price), when I heard the offer. My friends uncle was gettin' rid of them. I asked how much, he said $30... Man. I'm goin' with a buttload of Taricha. May not be able to aquire them all at once, but that sort of makes it more interesting.

(Message edited by xamphibiax on December 28, 2004)

(Message edited by xamphibiax on December 28, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1