What species of newt or sallie can survive outside where it freezes?

W

waldo

I live in north Idaho and it gets quit cold in the winter (sometimes -20f)is there any sallies that are native to winters like this?Maybe tigers?
I have only seen very small mole sallies here(I can't remember the exact type)and a few frogs-toads.

why dont you keep them inside with a submersible heater? Im not sure about sallies but i know i woud never keep an animal in freezing water! it wold probely kill them, unless like you say there was a sallie that could stand these temperatures, i would doubt it though the mole sallie could survive cause they dig tunnels under ground and its warmer underground

I wasn't planning to keep any animals in freezing water!of course I know they need to burrow to survive the winter.I was just curious about species that are native to clod climates

Salamandrella keyserlingii would be your best bet. They reportedly can survive -35oC and instances have been reported of frozen salamanders discovered in the permafrost reviving after they have thawed out. These sals also apparently used to show up in pet stores, but haven't for some time.

Hope this helped

MCLR

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back