Newts & Fish...

This question and others like it should be posted in the Newt and Salamander Help forum.

As to your question, I and most people here would not recommend mixing fish and newts. Most fish sold in fish stores are tropical or semitropical and do best at high temperatures, usually 76-82F. Newts on the other hand are temperate and 72F usually constitutes a high end for them. If you put both of them together one animal is going to be stressed and may die.

Also fish will produce more waste and put additional strain on the bioload increasing the stress for all animals involved.

That said if you must keep fish with your newts the White Cloud Mountain minnow is a fish that does well at cool temperatures and is small.

Also, it is good to make use of the search function as this question and many others have been asked before.

(Message edited by magustrate on April 23, 2007)

I've kept WCMMs and zebra dianos without any problems at all with pachytriton. Generally they are active enough to escape the newts, however if the odd one goes missing it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just don't put ANYTHING in with newts that has spines!

LMAO I think I will pass on the whole idea now, and to Abrahm I am not to familiar on where to post stuff as I am new to the site

Yes the White Cloud Minnow would be the only fish I would consider. But as William Jones says get a few because some just might come up missing. But I have had one female WCM with my newts for a few years now.

I understand that pygmy rasboras can tolerate temps down to 60F and only grow to 3/4 of an inch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back