Outdoor enclosure protection

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
If you already have an outdoor enclosure, or are planning on constructing one, please think about adding some sort of lockable lid.
A simple weldmesh lid like the one I have is great for keeping out cats and suchlike, but is no protection from any scummy teenage #### who decides to pay a visit through the night, as I have discovered to my cost.

I first noticed that a bunch of starwort[Callitriche verna],had gone missing from my enclosure which I thought was strange.
As well as that though I was concerned that I could not see one of my adult male newts, who had just entered the aquatic stage.
It turns out that on the same night one neighbour had a cat killed,and one had a rabbit removed from its hutch and killed.
Today I got a report that the newt in question had been found dead, along with lots of frogs in another neighbours garden.
And now I feel guilty as I had the enclosure built to give the newts are more natural life.

Dear Morg...

A brief note to say I was very saddened & angered by your news.I'll take this to private but just wanted to get that in.
I knew about the missing newt and the thieved plant but not the full extent of what happened or whether there was a link. Clearly someone in your locality needs some psychotherapy.
Hopefully it was the one loss - other adults ok?

Your mention of a lockable lid seems sadly wise but please do bin any feelings of guilt.

Best//M

Live and learn, too bad it sometimes has to be the hard way.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, if it would happen to me I'd be outraged and try to find the ones who did this. Even though I'm not an agressive person.

Matt, thanx for your post and email.
Coen, thank you for your post.
All other newts in the enclosure are fine and doing great.
I have found out the individuals responsible,but police cannot do anything, and the parents of the youths dont care.
So back to the reason for the original post, please consider a good lockable, or at least hard to remove lid if planning an outdoor enclosure.

Police can't do anything about tresspassing and destroying someone elses property?

My sympathy is with you, Morg. I will have to watch mine, and maybe put some locks on...
Unfortunately, I hardly ever see my alpines unless I pull apart their enclosure, so it's hard to check.
I don't see why any parent couldn't care less that their child is not only tresspassing and vandalising, but killing tons of animals aswell. Alright, many people wouldn't care about a newt or a frog, but cats and rabbits are usually a different matter...
As Matt rightly said - bin all feelings of guilt.
Chris

Chris
Have you tried going out after dark to watch your alpines?
Most of my best newtwatching is done by torchlight, both in the enclosure and garden ponds.
Sometimes theres not much to see, but at other times especialy on a cool damp evening, the newts can be seen out and about searching for food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back