Scary story

tiffany

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Tiffany Shewchuk
yesterday we almost had a tornado happen here. there were sitings of funnel clouds and my family and i experienced some really strange weather, green skies, and 2 wind directions at once. then my boyfriend calls and says his dad just called them to take cover because he saw a tornado touch down at work. so i packed my newts up. (what a scary thought) they knew something was up too! in a case like this what would you do?? i only have 2 newts, and i would never leave then behind. but last night, as much as my mom adores them, she told me to leave them. please tell me what would be the best thing?? i could have kept them with me in a fish bowl if there was a tornado.

Tiffany. As scary as that is, I would say that you have to take care of yourself. But I know that if I thought I had time to grab my pets, I would do so. I would recommend having a Critter Keeper (or the like) handy rather than a fish bowl. They could survive fine in there for a few days if they had to, and it would have a secure lid.

Stay safe! -Ali

I agree, if you are in a rush, save yourself first! I'm glad you and the newts weren't harmed by the tornado.

In any future emergency... if you have time to take the newts with you, I would pack them in a tupperware container with wet paper towels, not in a bowl of water. They are easier to handle this way, and they'll be just fine as long as they stay damp. If the weather is hot, pack the container in a cooler with a cold pack (but not right on top of the cold pack, as they may get too cold too quickly).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back