Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lock picks?

G

greg

I'm curious. Is locking a topic out of discussion a form of censorship?

Not that I particularly care about the topic that was locked, but people were saying something. It wasn't about Caudates... but it was something. Right, Dick?

proud.gif

J

john

If something is a bit weird (like Dick's name being censored) that can be changed but otherwise censorship on this site is a non-issue.

The moderator who capped the other censorship discussion did the right thing and I stand behind said moderator 100% - why debate something that is totally irrelevant to the site and wastes everyone's time. The only things censored are swear words and inappropriate posts (e.g. visit www.triplexratednudehyenas.com).

No replies to this topic please - if you have a problem with this topic then send me a private message - otherwise I'll censor you *cough*
crazy.gif

G

greg

maybe topics that are that much off topic could have a "2 minute warning" for those who want to comment... before the door is locked.

I am currently off topic as this thread has nothing to do with salamanders, but a lot to do with how an international Internet-based organization can function. A set discussion period of X days might be a good policy for any given topic to keep the discussion from becoming out-dated and to keep off topic or inflammatory dialog from getting out of hand. My objection is to locking a thread without warning the users first. I have, on lists I moderate, locked threads, deleted entire topics, deleted users, etc. but always after warning and getting a consensus from the users.

given our open door policy to users who can be non-donors (non-members?... non-registered users) we do need to have word filters in place as well as picture post filters in place. but other actions may require a more democratic approach.

Just the thoughts of an American pseudo-anarchist, pro-free speech person.

greg

PS "salamanders" is not in the spell check dictionary

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1