Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha setups

A

anthony

hi any one got pictures of nice setups as i need to get 2 tanks ready would like to copy them.
thank you. tony.

P

pin-pin

Hi Tony,

I'm still in the experimental stages, but a bit of nice soft moss with a few pieces of bark for your little ones to hide under is adequate. Having a layer of charcoal on the bottom will help absorb odors. You can buy aquarium charcoal at any pet shop.

Here are the evolution pictures of my set-ups:

Completely terrestrial, misted daily:
torosa_cage.jpg

Terrestrial, with a small, shallow water dish.
DSCN1350.jpg

Terrestrial, but adding a larger water section (water is only 1.5 inches). I took out the bark/shell since my little guy heads directly for it whenever it notices that I have a camera in my hand:
tank.jpg

Er, so one thing that is bad about my set-ups is that I do have two pieces of marine shell (and I had more before). In my defense, they were weathered in a freshwater aquarium for 3 years and I did try a "cocohut," but given the choice, my torosa decided it liked the shell. However, do NOT put a spiral shell into the tank that your juveniles can climb into. (*coughs embarrassedly*) They like dark places and will not hesitate to "get stuck" in the shell.
blush.gif

Try to have a small dry section for them to go to. If you watch your animals, they'll clue you in as to what they prefer.

A

anthony

hi pin pin thank you very much for the pictures think i will set up terrestrial with shallow water dish.

U

uwe

Hi,

Anthony is talking about youngsters. These are not so aquatic
Uwe

K

kaysie

Andrew, side note: never doubt Pin-pin's tarichabilities.

P

pin-pin

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Caudata.org. As Uwe pointed out, this old thread was originally about juvenile T.torosa torosa that Tony had acquired. Taricha juveniles, especially T.torosa torosa, tend to be a little more terrestrial than adults.

Kaysie>
blush.gif
You are too kind, I'm still always learning.

Speaking of which, I'm heading to Tarichaland next weekend with Tara to help out this Taricha photo/discussion shortage we've been having on this forum.

J

joseph

Pin: Yeah, I will be going up to a Tarichaland on Friday. Taricha seem to dislike me so I'm unsure if I will come across any. I'm sure I'll bring back photos of bratachoseps at least LOL

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1