Books: Newt Culture/Propagation

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
Hello
I am a former Salmo salar farmer and rancher (Wales, Scotland, Ireland & Canada). I live in South East New Brunswick, Canada. I have several spring fed ponds with a seemingly good population of newts and frogs, (no fish). I have always had an interest in ponds and pond life and would greatly appreciate any book recommendations on newt species identification and life history plus books on artificial culture of newts, especially those native to Eastern Canada. I can utilise ground water and was thinking of using gravity to take the water through a series of holding units placed on a hillside, which is immediately below two of the newt-rich ponds!
Thanks,
Cheerio,
Andrew

I had to read your profile to figure out what is "salmo salar". You have farmed salmon, which should be a good preparation for raising aquatic caudates!

I don't know of any books relevant to "farming", or even outdoor culture of caudates. The problem for most caudates is that, unlike salmon, they crawl away when they grow up! I suspect there are species you could raise in ponds, though. Dwarf sirens come to mind. Any other ideas out there?

Andrew
I have no idea about books on husbandry either but here is a link to the amphibian species of New Brunswick
http://www.carcnet.ca/english/tour/b_7.html. The people at the amphibian conservation network may be able to point you in the right direction.
There is only one species of newt in Eastern Canada - the red spotted newt (Notophthalmus viridescens). Basically the most abundant caudate species here in Nova Scotia are the yellow spotted salamanders, the red spotted newt and the red backed salamander, New Brunswick may be similar but I am not sure. Here is another link for salamander in Nova Scotia.
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/salamand/
I am giving you this link only because it provides a little more info on the native species than does CARCNET.
My feeling is that if you put eggs from Ambystoma spp. into man made ponds they will eventually migrate out after they metamorphose but mature individuals will be back in the spring as they have excellent homing capabilities. Furthermore if the area is rich in native newts and salamanders some adults may likely find their way to your new ponds on their own.
Tara

Thank you Jennifer and Tara. I did not realise that newts have rehoming capabilities, that means that they could possibly be ranched!
The links are excellent, thanks for the fundamentals. The last time I spent anytime watching newts was the garden pond in England where we had Great Crested Newts. Salmo salar means "The Leaper" Atlantic Salmon. I have moved away from that industry because it, in common, with so much farming, has become too intensive and husbandry has lost its real meaning.
Cheerio,
Andrew
animal.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back