Diverse foods, re: Daphnia

S

sharon

Sorry if this is a boring question or even a dumb one.

Are adult daphnia really as transparent as what I've seen on most sites?

Exactly how small are they? Will a brine shrimp net be sufficient to catching them?

What are those other critters I keep seeing in the water? I'll try to use the macro to get a pic of them this weekend. But they are sort of disc shaped, rounded like a ladybug and seem to hop if I lower the net into the water, they sort of bounce on the top of the water. In their actual pool they just swim away.

OH! And I've been looking at everyones' pics, lol, don't expect mine to be ANYWHERE near that good!!! Especially of a creature as small as these are.

I've figured out how to breed crickets, meal worms, fruit flies - all for my reptiles. NOW I need to figure out to be the gourmet provider for my aquatic creatures.

Will an axolotl go to the surface to eat a cricket? I know my larval salamanders did.

Oh geeze, that reminds me I gotta go tear that 40 gal apart to reset the beach... dang....

Sharon

They're often that translucent. A brine shrimp net is fine. Baby brine shrimp are smaller then most daphnia. When I kept axolotls, mine prefered to eat on the bottom (in fact they would have prefered to have the food swim into their mouth and never have to move).

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>David L. Nash (Dln) wrote on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 18:24 :</font>

"in fact they would have prefered to have the food swim into their mouth and never have to move)."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

thats funny stuff! LMAO!! Thanks for the giggle!

I guess its to late to sow a rock and gravel bottom with blood worms or was it black worms. I had great luck with that once, for a different bottom feeder.

Well, I suppose I could work on it....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back