L

lorna

I cannot believe I only just found this site!

So hi! I'm Lorna. I have two rough-skinned newts and three chinese fire-bellied newts along with some fire-bellied toads, hermit crabs etc, etc. I've had Hudson and Hawk (the roughs) for a year in February and the fire-belly newts a year in May. I'm really hoping to get into axolotls soon and marbled salamanders and am going to a show next week in hopes of finding them.

I had a pair of japanese fire-bellies for about a week way back in 10th grade. I got them for a friend for her birthday because her parents wouldn't and she had been reading up on them. Those newts and I really hit it off and then I gave them to her and they escaped a month later.I won't even get into when and how she found them. UGH. On the whole, I think I was more disappointed than her... *shakes head*

Anyway, I'm really happy to have found you guys. I'm sure all my newts will appreciate the extra care they'll get from the info I've already found. ;)}

Welcome to the site! I too only found this site about a month ago and its been a invaluable source of information.

Hello Lorna and welcome!!! This site is awsome. I know that there will be many people here to help you out.
happy.gif

Hi Lorna

I'm a newbie too, and new to the actual ownership bit as well, as I collect my axie tomorrow! However I did have some super crested newts in my pond at my last house having rescued them from a pond which was being filled in by builders

Shelagh

there was a huge pond near me that was filled with newts but builders filled it to build houses. what do they do with all the wildlife in the pond? or do they just fill it and thats it?

They just fill it in... It's not my personal experience that construction people give a <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> about wildlife. If they did then they wouldn't fill stuff in and tear trees down at all.

It sucks, but as far as I know it's true.
Can you imagine big scary construction guys driving up in their big destrutor-bots and stopping only to climb out and oh-so-gently help all the little animals whose home they're destroying out of the water and relocating them? That would be so great...

Unless there's an environmental or scientific tie to the beginnings of something like that however, they won't care. They barely even care enough when relocating families.

Wow. Sorry. Rant!

Oh yeah, and HI to everyone else.

Thanks for the greets and such!

Hi, and welcome! I love this site too, ever since I "discovered" it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back