Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Importing Animals from the U.S to Canada

S

shaun

Hi there, is anyone familiar with the laws regarding sending salamanders north of the border? I recently found the following site:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/turtlese.shtml
and was surprised to note that "...amphibians and reptiles (excluding turtles and tortoises) are no longer regulated under the Health of Animals Regulations and as a result, no Canadian Food Inspection Agency import permit is required, nor a health certificate and no inspection will normally be done at the border. Imports are permitted from any country, for any use, to any destination in Canada." Is this on the level? If so, what's keeping U.S breeders from shipping to Canada. Are export laws particularly restrictive?

K

kaysie

This is true. The only thing that keeps breeders from shipping is 1.) cost, and 2.) that the animals still have to sit in customs, regardless of inspection by CFIA. I have on a few occasions taken animals myself to canada via personal vehicle. Its pretty easy. You have to go through customs, just so they make sure you're not taking axolotls. But I've been told that you can freely trade any native north American animal that is not protected. If they're protected, you do need a permit (usually a permit to keep them in the Province).

S

shaun

Do you know how long the wait generally takes? Cost wouldn't be too huge of an issue, but extending shipping periods would make any Canadian hope of recieving new animals impossible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1