Books...

R

raphael

Anybody know any good books for species outside of the US? Like Petranka's book but for europe or asia.
thanks

I think I should make clear that I'm looking for something on Asian species. Thank you for the pointer I'll be checking that out.

"Studies on Chinese Salamanders" has some useful information on asian species, but it is a little outdated (1989), so some of the classification information is now inaccurate. "The Chine Red Data Book of Endangered Animals (amphibia & reptilia)" also has some useful information, but only contains those species that are endangered, and from China.
Jessica

There is "Studies on Chinese Salamanders", Ermi Zhao, Yaoming Jiang, Qixiong Hu, Yuhua Yang.
Not as nice and detailed as Petranka's or Griffith's book, but it is the only English language book about Asian, esp. Chinese species that I know of and is pretty good. It was published in cooperation with the Herpetological Society of Japan and the Japan Wildlife Research Center.

If you read French there's the book of thorn and Raffaelli that discusses captive care for each Euro-asian species in great detail.

Can you order the Studies on Chinese Sals at normal bookshops, or do you have to go thru someone special?
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back