Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A. barbouri/texanum question

M

mark

I have found myself more interested about various ambystoma species ever since I got Petranka's book, and I noticed that Mike G has quite a few A barbouri posts. Mike, from the post below, did you find those barbouri and texanum from the same location?? That's pretty amazing, since Petranka only recognized 3 or 4 specific zones that are common to both species at the time of his publication. Maybe since that time, more areas have been located - or of course you may have just been lucky? Also, I'm curious to see how you differentiated between the species if indeed they were at the same location.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/cgi-bin/show.cgi?tpc=985&post=19795#POST19795

(By the way, it looks to me that Ohio appears to be the Ambystoma capital, There are probably more species of them there than in any other state)

M

mark

Thanks for the info.

I think I will do some March herp viewing in Ohio this year. I would really enjoy getting photos of even the species that are considered "common" like texanum and jeffersonianum. I have never seen these except in pictures. I was really surprised to find how much earlier the breeding can take place in Ohio compared to Michigan.

M

mark

Oh, man, I can't believe it. I was originally planning on driving down this weekend, but then saw that the weather seemed to be unseasonally cold all around, and I noticed that snow storms had been happening (I thought as far south as southern Ohio). So I was going to wait yet another week!
I can't believe I missed it. I am only 4 hours north, and we have been having really cold weather (under 10 degree nights), so I figure we are still a long ways away yet.

Do you really think that there will be no adults left around the breeding spots for tigrinum and jeffersonianum? I figure at least that in the more northern areas of the state it is still going on (although of course the Jeff. sals are absent far north). Like I said, I would be very content with seeing just a few texanum.
I usually see the maculatum breed in Michigan, they seem to be the only ones I really witness the large gatherings for.

I think with this news that I will try to make a one day trip out of it tomorrow, cold or not. I really want a chance at seeing something down there!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1