Christmas Shopping

M

mark

With the arrival of cheap flights from Bristol to New York , I've booked myself a long weekend in Dec for some Christmas shopping and a bit of sight seeing. As nearly everything is much cheaper in the states I'd be foolish not to buy myself some stuff and I was thinking of books. So can anyone recommend a good book shop in NY where I could buy Petranka - "Salamanders of the United States and Canada" or William E. Duellman and Linda Trueb "Biology of Amphibians" (all of which are available in the UK but much more expensive)? Would I need to order them first or are these books stocked in good shops. Any recommendations for other good reading would be appreciated.

It would probably be easier and cheaper to get them through e-bay and perhaps have them sent to one of our members living around New York.

Amazon.com has Petranka's book for only $56, or $9 below list price and Biology of Amphibians for $37.58, or over $10 below list price.

Hi,

I was in New York some years ago and I found the Museum of Natural History to sell a nice number of herpetological books, including biology of amphibians as paperback. Anyhow, this museum is well worth a visit to my opinion.

I'm not sure what the postage costs are like from Amazon.com to the UK, they arn't light books. Amazon.co.uk sell both books at nearly double the US price.

Thanks for the museum tip Frank, I'll be sure to pay a visit.

I'd check amazon.com for used copies here in the US and have them sent to your hotel.

Try to make time for the Museum of Natural History and the Bronx Zoo.

That's a very good idea John. I hadn't thought about getting stuff sent to the hotel. It might be quite tight as I'm only there for 4 days so not much room for postal delays.

I might give the zoo a miss. Not because I don't like them but because I work weekends as a keeper in bristol zoo and you can sometimes have too much of a good thing. That is unless there is something really special to see there....?

IMHO the Bronx is the best of the NY Zoos (each borough has its own). Many endangered species, good breeding programs, great exhibits.

It'd take a whole day to see, and may not be worth 25% of your time, especially as a "busman's holiday"

Read in the NY Times that they're already putting together the Christmas decorations....

(Message edited by duktig on September 12, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back