Vacation

A

albert

I was just wondering what you guys do with your newts and salamanders when you go on vacation? I know that they can survive for a long time without food, so is it okay to just leave them at home for a week or two?

As long as it's not too hot, you can leave them home for a week or so.

But as hot as it's been in our neck of the woods, be sure you've got reliable air conditioning, or have someone to check on them daily. It would be best if you could move them into either a basement or to someone who has air conditioning and can be home daily.

Two weeks without food is just fine. Feed and clean extra-well for a week before you leave. Don't leave any uneaten food in the tank, unless it's live food.

If any of the tanks normally lose a lot of water to evaporation, you might need someone to check on that and add water as needed (mark the correct water level with a marker on the glass).

I agree with Joan - if they are dependent on A/C, be sure they are checked on daily, and provide an emergency management plan (tupperware, paper towels, and a refrigerator or cooler).

I've heard of turning your temp to a not quite as cold temp and placing them in there. I'm not sure how great of an idea that is though.

Thanks for the quick responses! Also, upon returning from vacation, would I need to gradually start feeding them again, or can I just start right back on the regular feeding schedule? I'm asking because I've heard of caudates dying from "re-feeding" syndrome...

Hi Albert - re-feeding syndrome only applies to severely malnourished and starved animals. Healthy animals can easily last 2 weeks without food and you shouldn’t see any signs of deterioration. I would feed them up before you go and continue with regular feeding when you get back.

Thanks for clearing that up Mark.
biggrin.gif

It depends on the newts, and them actually starving to death isn't always the biggest problem.

I just got back from an 8 day vacation, leaving my critters under the care of my sister(thankfully she was willing to take care of them while I was away, and did an excellent job). I didn't want to have her do too much so she only fed a few of the fish, and some Cynops morphs. The Cynops orientalis adults and 8 karelinii went without food. Yesterday coming back the orientalis adults look fine...perhaps a little less plump but not by much. The karelinii in a densely planted 10 gallon also looked fine, if not a bit thin compared to how they normally look on 2x to 4x a week feedings. 4 karelinii in a larger tank with less plants, though, didn't do quite as well. Anyone keeping these knows how voracious they are and 3 of them were missing the ends of their tails. Based on this experience seperating them before you leave is probably a good idea.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on July 29, 2006)

Thanks for the heads up Joseph. I only have two cynops orientalis in a ten gallon tank, and they never seem to be hostile to each other. But just to be safe, I might put in a divider or leave some live food for them munch on while I'm away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back