Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Formal categories for different stages of larva?

J

joonas

Is there some published (formal) categories for different development stages of salamander larva? Stages like "only front legs visible", "also hind legs visible", etc.

It would be so handy to refer to some source instead of always trying to describe stages by myself.

E

eike

Yes there is. If you are able to read German....
Grosse, W.-R. (1997): Die Nutzungs von Standards und Tafeln zur Feldbestimmung des Entwicklungsstadiums einheimischer Amphibienlarven. - Mertensiella: 349-364.- in K. Henle & M. Veith (Hrsg): Naturschutzrelevante Methoden der Feldherpetologie.- Mertensiella 7

J

joonas

My German is really bad, but even bigger problem seems to be that there is no way I could find that article (by Grosse). I have checked all university libraries in this country and couple of private herpetological libraries I have access to, but with no luck
sad.gif

If someone have a copy of that article, possibility to use photo copier or scanner and good will to help me, I really would appreciate it. If so, please contact me directly at joonas@herpetomania.fi.

J

joonas

Thank You Tim!

How about after hatching. How categories are then, all the way till metamorphosis?

So, if someone can help me with Grosse's article, I'm still interested about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1