Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What causes them to spin?

H

heather

The first of my Mestriton alpestris eggs hatched a few days ago, but my excitement was short lived as it is a spinner. I have heard of this condition before but other than that know nothing about it. This larva is curved into a U shape and seems incapable of straightening out. Is that how all spinners are shaped? Also, can it be prevented/caused by environmental factors, ie did I not do enough water changes or is it genetic? I am euthanizing the affected larva using ethyl alcohol, unless someone can suggest another good alternative soon. It won't recover, right? It hatched 3 days ago and I think it will just starve (I don't see how it could capture food). Any input, insight, suggestions, etc would be appreciated,
Heather

ravenous

Reaction score
i have had this problem with newly hatched axolotl.
i came to the conclusion that it was the fact that the eggs were this and therefore the larvae did not have to struggle very much to get out of it. this causing the muscles to be weak.

thats my theory anyway.

C

cameron

Probably a good theory though. I watched a salamander tadpole riggle straight out of an egg it was in because it was sort of breaking up and it dashed right through the ditch I found it in. It was straight and not U shaped. Others still inside the egg sac were U shaped and weren't ready to hatch yet.

H

heather

Thanks for the ideas guys. I had a second, straight larva out of the egg this morning when I woke up. I hope I don't see any more spinners
Heather

J

jennifer

It is possible for spinners to feed semi-normally. Some do starve, it depends on the extent of their problem(s). I'm not sure if any ever outgrow the problem, but it's remotely possible.

In one case I know of, a "spinner" Pleurodele was raised to maturity, and continued to swim in circles as an adult.

H

heather

Hmm...Well, I chickened out and have let the little guy live. I put a small piece of bloodworm next to the spinner last night but didn't stick around to see if it ate it. I guess I will leave it for now and see what happens. I'll feel pretty bad if I just let it linger for days to starve to death, but if there is a possibility of it surviving I want to give it a chance. And I suppose I should separate it from its fellows, so it won't have to compete with them. Thanks for the comments everyone,
Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1