Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi, new here.

D

diego

Hi I'm new here, I'm 13 years old and I live in Middletown CT (USA) I like herps and have ferret my IQ is 116(i think) and I have just basically said everything in the register page
dizzy.gif
nono.gif
lol. WELL... I have gone through many herps that I've wanted to keep(well actually just 2) the thing is that I have fallen in love with newts...They are awsome and its very nice to see people so interested in caudates(sp?)

I really liked triturus carnifex (Alpine Crested Newt) but seeing that it isn't available In my local petstore I'm now looking into the Cynops orientalis (Chinese Fire Bellied Newt) Well I was wondering how many I can keep in a 20 gallon tank, I would like 2 maybe 3 (2 sounds better)I wanna keep a mild/heavly planted aquarium with one of those islands that stick to the sides of the tank and a good sized hideout/ornament. I was also wondering if I can keep them with a 5 to 10 neon tetras.soooo YEP!

F

foster

Checkout the link to caudata culture. There are some great articles there that will answer many of your questions. Neon tetras need warmer water than Cynops so this would not be a good mix.
Chip

J

joan

And if you're thinking about getting CO's, you should get them from a reputable breeder, and not from your pet store. Pet shop newts almost always wild caught, are usually disease-ridden and in bad shape, and die within a few weeks from the stress of being shipped and housed in terrible setups. There's almost always something up for sale, if you keep an eye on the 'for sale' section, you might find something you like.

L

leanne

Welcome, Diego!!
frog.gif

You're on the right track with 2 species of newt to a 20 gallon enclosure, but definitely it is a good idea to keep it limited to containing only one kind of species of critter (i.e. no tetras with newts, which was mentioned---and it's true, if you have any doubt about the risk you take by mixing species, look at that link that was given by Ralf---the mixing disasters one). Generally speaking, a hiding place is important (like you noted
proud.gif
), pH quality of water and substrate must be kept at a healthy level, and make sure you get a good cover for the tank (most of these guys are little Houdini escape artists)
smile7.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Anybody who keeps ferrets is alright in my book, but take extra caution to keep your ferret and newts apart. I had couple ferrets years ago that were skilled at getting into the axoltl tank and caused some unspeakable damage to my animals. If the ferret gets into your tank or if the newt escapes from your tank, you may have yourself an even worse problem than I did as Cynops orientalis skin contains a toxin (though I don't know how potent). Not trying to scare you out of getting some newts, but just be aware and take extra care!
wink.gif

L

leanne

YES, years ago I had an indoor pond that I made out of a baby pool, and it contained tiger salamander tadpoles/morphs in there. One morning I awoke to discover a salamander out of the pool, covered in carpet fuzz, and punctured all over the place with little teeth marks---Harley, my ferret, decided to play with him during the night
sad.gif

J

jeff

Hey Diego, thanks for sharing your iq with us!!!

Leanne- where did you have room to put a kidde pool into your house? I had issues finding a spot for my 30 gallon!

D

diego

cool! thanks for all the info! I was just wondering if there is ANY type of fish that can be kepts with COs..
blob.gif
its not necesary but i dunno i think it would be cool, I understand why most herps cant be kept with other animals...so lets just see ill google on it
biggrin.gif

D

diego

HA! you got a point there!
biggrin.gif

So firebellies move like fish? I mean I've only seen the ones in my petstore for like 3 seconds so...what are they like?

See I've seen frogs before and they aren't the most interesting animals out there they basically sit eat and sleep..are newts like this except in the water?

(Message edited by Diego_(yay) on November 21, 2005)

ali

Reaction score
Hi Diego. From my (limited) experience, the firebellies aren't the most active of the different newt species, but I'll tell you what. I agree with Joan in that getting them from a breeder would be MUCH better and they would CERTAINLY live longer, but I think getting some firebellies from that pet store of yours would make a great first time pet newt. And I'm sure you could make them happier than they are!

Be sure to read those links that the moderator posted, as they have GREAT information from this site.

If you want something cool to put with your newts, about the only 100% safe thing is ghost shrimp. They are really cheap since most people feed them to bigger animals. They'll clean the bottom of the tank a little bit too! AND they're really cool to watch.

Good luck and let us know if you have any problems!

J

jeff

I'm with Ali, shrimp are the "safest" things for newts, but not for themselves.. hehe.
Diego, forget about what "swims like a fish", it's not importent. I am thinking that newts may be not the right animal for you just yet. Frogs are really the best when it comes to eating, and they seem to be less hard to feed right. you should go with some frogs, and then try out some newts froma pro.

D

diego

Yeah but newts dont have to eat live crickets like frogs NEED to..
sick.gif

ali

Reaction score
Maybe you could just try a community fish tank? You could still have the cool shrimp then too!
happy.gif
I also have a hamster, and while I prefer caudates, she sure is cute
happy.gif

D

diego

......I really want newts!
cry.gif
are they really that hard to keep?? I don't mind if they dont move much...i just asked if they moved like fish not because I want them to move like fish but because I just wanted to see how they ascted like...I made that last message so short because I was in school, I don't want something I can pet and hug and play with( I already have one of those lol)I want a pet I can look at while I have some spare time, a pet I can feed. First I looked into frogs and I saw Red Eyed Tree frogs with look really amazing, http://www.livingunderworld.org/gallery/photos/anura/hylidae/agalychnis/callidryas/agalychnis_callidryas_rob_stegmann.jpg

But seeing that they cost 100 dollars ( from a petstore and from online stores+shipping ) So then I dissapointed I looked into Fire Bellied Toads and kind of looked over the fact that they ate live bugs so I knew that I wasn't gonna be able to make weekly trips to the petstore so I looked into other herps, geckos (eat live bugs, too expensive) but then I stopped at newts and I was like wow! the way they look, the way the swim( side to side), live food isn't necesary and many other things...well that's my story,
biggrin.gif

Why do you think newts aren't right for me?(oh and I think I want japanese fire bellied newts instead)

(Message edited by Diego_(yay) on November 23, 2005)

andrew

Reaction score
Not all frogs are lazy gluttons. Some actively hunt food during the day, like Poison dart frogs. If you haven't looked into this yet, go to Dendroboard, spend a few weeks, (which I promise if you are interested will turn into years) at the board and you will learn all about these and even about other interesting anurans.

D

diego

cool..sounds good, but my major concern isn't the frog's behaivour it's self but it's diet. I belong to talkto.thefrog.org and I've researched anurans for a couple months but as you may have read above I can't make weekly trips to the petstore to buy crickets and I'm not really up to breeding my own crickets...I don't have enough room or time, the thing I don't understand is is there a reason why some people are trying to drive me out of keeping CP or other newts?This did happen to me while I was buying my ferret, in most care sheets it talked about how wonder full they were and how playfull they were and how funny they were and how overall great they were (which they are!)but they didn't say how smelly they were how nippish they were s pups and how they didnt allways went and did their business in a litter box?
are there any big cons against newts in general?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1