Outside noise

M

meghan

I apologize if this has been answered in past posts but I'm going to go ahead and ask anyway! My husband is dividing a room up, half for his music equipment and the other half for me to house my tanks and supplies. He plays guitar and music..occasionally loud. Do noise vibrations affect caudates?

Meghan today is you lucky day, I have been dealing wiht this issue since I moved. I have 3 newts in the main apartment room, sort of by the window. About 10 feet from the mess that is all my processors and amps and so forth. I was really worried to about the decibels when I moved in, especially when wild animals with sensitive hearing is involved.

I have problems with my 66 gibson so somtimes I screw around with my setup and I mess up and send a 120dp blast through the whole building. The newts for one reason or another, don't mind the loudness for short periods of time, I assume they either don't hear them as loud and they probably would be more curious then stressed. I have watched them eat away with the speakers cranked pretty good, but only underwater. If anything the highs probably effect them more then the lows.

(Message edited by newtsrfun on July 18, 2005)

I used to have a newt tank positioned on a work surface directly above a washing machine. During the spin cycle the tank would vibrate considerably but I never once saw the inhabitants show any reaction. Mine only show a flight response to very loud, sharp noises, such as a door slamming nearby. Their inner "ears" can't be that sensitive.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go ahead and move my tanks in there. He usually saves his 'guitar jams' for weekends. They wouldn't be getting a daily dose of it anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back