Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of newt do I have?

A

ashley

I bought a newt the other day and I'm not sure what kind it is , I have two fire belly newts but this one is a lot bigger , it is a mucky green colour with little bumps ( not smooth like a fire belly ) , it has a mellow orange underside.. can anyone help me out ?

W

william

sounds like a paramensotriton, probably fuzhongensis, although i think chinensis can also be "green" as well.

A

ashley

I looked it up on the net and I have a Taricha Granulosa , is it a bad idea to have him in with my fire belly's ?

H

henk

If it's a male you will loose your fire bellied due to the powerfull amplexus, so I would strongly suggest splitting them up

J

joan

When the male newt grasps the female during mating. It can get quite vicious in some species. Not to mention that T. granulosa is THE most toxic newt species known. Its toxins would definately kill a 'firebelly' fairly quickly.

A

ashley

hey guys I think I got the species mixed up with another kind ... But I'm not sure ... my fire bellies are okay right now I'm getting another tank for the new newt this week

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!