Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of soil to use

J

jody

okay all my salamanders are on compressed cocanut fiber. i keep seeing people talking about top soil.... like same soil i can buy at a garden center ? or would digging it out my back yard be better ? the cocanut fiber seams good but i have to really mist it a lot. remimber no jokes please just answer =)

M

mark

Top soil from the garden is fine but I prefer to use a top soil which has been sterilized. Un-sterilized soil has a surprising number of beasties living in it, some of which can be annoying like tiny flies which emerge from eggs laid in the soil. Shop bought topsoil may also have more organic content than soil from your yard which helps it to retain moisture.

I use this organic sterilized topsoil: http://www.lovethegarden.com/products/composts/levoctopsoil.html

Maybe someone in the US can suggest a suitable product available there.

K

kaysie

Jody, I buy my soil from the home center. There's one brand (up here at least) that's organic. It's called Earth-Gro.

As long as you buy a soil that is pesticide free, fertilizer free, and manure free, you can bake it in small quantities to sterilize it.

I usually mix top soil and coco fiber together. This gives it a little more structure and moisture holding abilities.

J

jennifer

Hi Jody, I changed the title of this thread - this is not an idiotic question, it's a very important question. I've done quite a lot of trial and error with various kinds of "dirt", and gotten some good suggestions from other people along the way.

2 good things about "real dirt", compared to pure coco fiber, is that it is less likely to stick to amphibian skin, and it has some properties that help it to break down waste products. It rarely molds.

I use a 50/50 mix of top soil (bought in a bag at walmart) and coco fiber. The advantage of including coco is that it holds moisture better than most kinds of dirt do. I also mix in some fir bark chips or cypress mulch if I have it around.

If you are having problems with coco fiber being too dry, I think you need to add more water to it (POUR some water onto it) - either that or else you have too thin of a layer of it. Usually, cocofiber holds moisture pretty well.

J

jody

hey thanks a ton, well i'm off to walmart... my salamanders will be thanking you soon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1