Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Salamander care

R

rheann

Today I received my Fire Salamander =).

I must say, what a truly beautiful animal and it is a male. I believe his sub species is Salamandra salamandra terrestris, or Salamandra salamandra fastuosa but I am not sure and I am far from an expert on this. I will post pictures later and maybe someone can help me identify his sub species.

His current home is a plastic bin with a tight fitting lid poked with breathing holes. Inside the bin is pea gravel for drainage, top soil, and ground moss. There are also some little rocks and a larger rock that he can burrow under. The temp inside the container is currently 67 degrees.

He seems very happy. I have some wonderful plans for him. I plan to use a 20 gallon tank and build inside of it a background made from expanding foam, peat, and coco fibers mixed with wellbond glue. Pea gravel will be in the bottom, and I may cut a small drainage hole in the bottom and install a plug.

From the bottom up I will build pea gravel, top soil, coco fibers and ground moss. Plants will include miniature ferns and ivy. I will also install into the back pieces of grapewood so that they come out giving the Ivy room to grow.

I know that Fire Salamanders are terrestrial - however I would like to know if it would be alright to make his enclosure semi-aquatic or is this not advisable? So far I do not plan to make a semi-aquatic home. I would prefer to just have a small water dish - but it would also be nice to have a small water fall feature in the tank
happy.gif

In the summer time because I live in California and it can get pretty hot, I will have him hibernate in the fridge or possibly a cooler during the hotter months. I understand that they need to be fasted 8 days prier before hibernation occurs. I hope this is accurate information. If it is not, please let me know.

Is there any advice anyone would like to give me about the terrarium? Anything I might have missed as far as concerning setup?

Comments are much appreciated, thanks guys
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!