Method for feeding large amount of juves

I

ian

I now have 30+ juvenile T marmoratus, with lots more to come, at first i was trying to feed them on small pieces of earth worm with a cocktail stick, not only was it hard finding enough small worms- even the worms i bought in, most of them were too big- but only a couple of the critters showed interest and i was spending hours trying one after the other.With at least another 50 to come i was desperate to find an easier more productive way.I decided to "mist" a shallow dish and rinse a bag of blood worm and put them in. I waited until it had been dark a couple of hours and snook in with a torch to see what was happening. To my delight there was about ten in the dish feeding and by morning hardly any blood worm left.I have been using this method a few days now with good results, the blood worm stay alive for days and as long as there is only a misting of water the newts are quite happy to get in the dish and eat. Hopefully as they get bigger they will progress onto earth worms and save me a bit of money.

Sounds great, Ian. Any photos of them in the dish (I'd like to see how shallow it is, etc.)? I used to have C. ensicauda juvies "trained" to eat frozen bloodworm out of a dish. These days I'm using fruitflies for the smaller ones and waxworms for the bigger ones. With my marmoratus though, I feed even the smaller ones waxworms.

Tim i'll try to get a photo later for you. The dish i am using is the type used for standing plant pots in ,less than one inch deep. You must be using lesser wax worm are you , unless your juves are a lot bigger than mine. How did you train yours to eat frozen blood worm mine need to see the food moving.

my experience with marms is the new morphs are semi aquatic in shallow water-so i give them live black worms and daphnia and occasionally fruit flies in a mess of elodea in about 1/2" water and they feed them selves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back