What a tragedy

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
After waiting and waiting for my adult male Triturus vittatus ophryticus to come into breeding condition and enter water, he has drowned.
He had not been aquatic since I bought him but
he had started entering the water at night.
However when in the water he was unable to submerge.
The tank has a ramp to the land shelf, and lots of floating plants that he would scramble onto so I was not worried.
Just been in to check on my newt room,and sadly he was floating on the water surface, head underwater, and throat bloated.

Don't dispose of the body - put him on a slightly moist land part and leave him for 24 hours. If he isn't breathing after that time then it's safe to say he's dead. Newts can often miraculously come back to life after apparent drowning. I've seen this three times over the last 4 years in various species.

John
Thank you for the advice.
I do have him in a tub of damp moss at present.
There are no signs of life, but he will be kept untill Im certain that he is gone.

If he is, then it looks like an add will be posted to try get another adult male, already aquatic, as Ive a nice fat female waiting in the tank for a mate.

Hi Morg,

Even if he comes back there's little chance of him being up to mating for a long time. Assuming he comes back, the strain put on the kidneys after taking all of that fluid into the body and then excreting it will probably lay him low for a long time.

Good luck,

John

Really sorry to hear that Morg. Good luck with the resurection. My pet cricket died today also (don't laugh, I was very attached to him, had him 7 months and he used to sing to me, which is more than my newts ever do!)
My last male Paramesotriton died yesterday as well, so all in all, I've had better weeks too.
OTOH, my first Cynops orientalis hatched yesterday, so I guess it's just Nature's way of ensuring that we're not up to our nadgers in newts...

that is very sad news morg what a shame hope he recovers justin

Thanks all.
No movement as yet, but we will see how it goes.
Alan
Sorry to hear about your newt, and your cricket.

Animal husbandry throws things at you like this Morg. Knowing you though, I'm sure there are more births than deaths in your newt room.

Neil

*If* things really are as they appear to be, then let me add my voice to the commiserations, Morg. Really rotten luck. Hope you find a replacement soon. Chin up!
Best//M

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back