Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I just want to say...

S

sharon

...I am REALLY enjoying my axolotls!

I have 6 in a display tank in my livingroom. I can sit on my favorite couch and watch their antics.

The more comfortable they become with their surroundings, the more I see.

I had no idea they were so curious!!! I wasn't sure if they would be like my eel and enjoy a clear uplift tube. So I laid one in there anyway. It was funny/dangerous. One of them decided to check it out and then changed his mind. Apparently these axos don't swim backwards. He flipped out trying to turn around. I don't know if anything bad would have happened if I hadn't been actively watching but all the same I'm glad I was on hand to dump him out.

I have a pennplax hollow cliff with odd openings here and there, the suction cups are long defunct, so I pushed a red leaf lilly plant through one of the holes and sank it. It is so fun to see them exploring all the different openings. They try to cram themselves into openings that are obviously to small (hunting instinct I suppose). They swim up and hang onto the lily leaves.

In the rearing tanks the babies wind themselves through the spider plantlings and one was curled up in the cup of a lotus flower. Fantastic picture, but I missed it.

Its not all going perfectly. I've got a couple of amputees and one case of fungus but all seems to be going more smoothly now.

You guys have been a ton of help. I really appreciate it!

Sharon

(Message edited by ferret_corner on June 17, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1