Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

USPS

N

nesaraj

I am just posting this message as a cautionary tale for all. I recently received some baby Cynops Orientalis via USPS. The result of this shipment was heartbreak for myself, my wife and the person who shipped them to me (a user of this forum as well).
Instead of receiving the newts on time, I received them all dead and 2 days late. To me, this represents the last straw. My dissatisfaction and disgust with governmental agencies is now full-grown. I am no longer willing to deal with USPS and will use Fed-Ex, UPS (and maybe DHL) in the future. I hope no one else ever has to go through this sort of thing.

N

nic

I'm really sorry about your loss.

FedEx is really great and was cheaper when I sent
an overnight from LA to Portland. It was supposed to arrive by 10:30 am but was there at 7:30am and
the cost was less than half of usps.

violent.gif
sad.gif

J

jason

Hey everybody, it hasn't been a good day. Im the one that sent the newts to Raj. I work for the Postal Service part-time, and was assured by my fellow employees that the newts would get there on time, guaranteed. I had told people there I'd used UPS before to receive salamanders, and they had all given me @#!$ about it because the USPS has some kind of bad blood with them. I am totally disgusted with this whole situation.

The only reparation that can be made is that I get the Express Mail postage back because it did not get there on time. I had also filed an Insured claim form, which I should be getting about $42 from, after I got a price quote from a pet store.

This still, however, does not make up for the time spent raising the newts, and makes this all a terrible waste. Its pretty bad, when I as a postal employee, have to advise now against using our services.

J

jennifer

I'm really VERY sorry to hear about this. One bad incident shouldn't create a total condemnation of USPS - I've heard horror stories about the other carriers too. Unfortunately, there's always some level of risk involved.

I've shipped many times with USPS. I've only seen one Express Mail shipment delayed, and luckily that was worms and flies. I've seen one first class item delayed 2 weeks because the receiving clerk typed in the wrong zip code, sending it to SC instead of VA, but again it wasn't newts.

Just out of curiosity, was this package supposed to go overnight to the destination zip code? (Many rural places get 2-day Express Mail.) Was it sent early in the week, or got stuck over a weekend? Any clues from the tracking where it got stuck or misdirected?

J

jennifer

Also, a question for Jason - do you know what city (or cities) are used by the USPS as the hub(s) for Express Mail?

J

jason

Louisville, KY and Spokane, WA in the case of this shipment.

E

edward

If I try to get a UPS delivery here, the post office delivers it (usually late). If possible I try to use Fed Ex or Airborne Express.
I've seen ads for a new delivery company, does anyone know anything about them?

(One of my brothers has worked for the post office for almost 25 years now and I still don't like it so don't blame yourself Jason.)

Ed

N

nesaraj

Heya all, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I find the people on this forum to be the very conscientious and actively-involvedabout their amphibian friends.
Jason, you are in no way to blame. I hope my venting on here about the whole situation did not give the impression that I blame you for the mishap. I am glad you got reparation from USPS.
I view even one mishap by and self-allegedly "efficient" carrier as unforgivable behaviour, as the lives of non-human animals is just as important as human lives (perhaps even more important). Therefore, the unneccesary loss even of one newt is a tragedy.
Thanks for the learning experience you all have given me on this forum, and for bearing with my .
catharsis today.

Raj

J

jason

You guys are so supportive, I've been so down all day. My tendency is to beat myself up over things like this. I know I can't really do anything about it, but karmatically, in the future, I feel like it needs to be balanced out. Any suggestions as to what I can do with the reparation money to help out would be appreciated. I can't just keep it, its not worth it to me.

K

kaysie

Jason, don't blame yourself. It's not your fault. Take it out on your coworkers (just dont 'go postal'!). The reparation money can always be donated. This site runs on donations and then you know your money will be going for something good.

J

jennifer

Jason, I suggest you buy a new tank, let me give you some juvenile newts, and when they grow up you can distribute tons of CB offspring!

Of course, a donation to John Clare wouldn't hurt either (and would certainly be easier)!

megan

Reaction score
Hello Jason,
I believe your advice on how to file and claim postal insurance, and secure a refund of postage fees - when things go terribly wrong - would be mighty helpful to many. I know I sure would appreciate it! This spring I received a D.O.A. shipment. It was a disappointment. That's an understatement. In my case I might not have been entirely in the right if I had chosen to complain (I did complain, silently, to myself), but then again I was never entirely sure of my - or the sender's - rights. I was under the impression that 1.) I would have to provide proof (invoice, receipt, etc.) that the animal were purchased and had a value, 2.) USPS's responsibility in damaged or delayed shipments would be difficult to prove.}

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I usually pack my animals so they can take 3 days in the box if necessary. The post office guarantee is just for on time arrival and not for live arrival. Sometimes the next day mail takes 2 days. Rarely it takes 3. If it's late I get my postage back and the person I'm shipping to gets healthy animals. The only way you get the value of the animal back is if the package is lost.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1