Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus alpestris OR Triturus apuanus? (PIC)

S

steve

Just wanted to clear my suspicions up here.

I heard apuanus has specks on the throat, but some species can have it on the neck. So I wanted other opinions on this newt.

Is it an Alpine or a Italian Alpine?

thanks.
steve

2675.jpg

Y

yago

Just to make it more confusing, t.alpestris cyneri has specks on the throat too. It is very hard to diferenciate them at the juvenile stage. I got the juveniles of the 3 subspecies in 3 different setups, I don't dare to mix them hoping to recognise each subspecie easily. Let them grow and will be easier.
Best wishes
Yago

caleb

Reaction score
Steve-

The adult apuanus I've had experience with had loads more spots on the throat than that. I can't remember whether the juveniles had them, unfortunately!

Yago-

I've raised a few cyreni, and I've found them to have very wide and round heads in comparison to a. alpestris and apuanus. Have you found this as well?

I also found them to be extremely aquatic- they've never left the water at all while I've had them.

S

steve

Most of these guys (3-4 out of 5) always RAN to the land when I first had them in a semi-aquatic tank. Now they are in a 100% land. (with a dish of water, which one, sometimes, likes to dip in it)

The breeder told me they were a. alpestris but, because of the throat marks, was unsure if one apuanus somehow got mixed in with the a. alpestris tank.

Hybrid? well, ill go with a. alpestris for now.

thanks!

Y

yago

Yes Caleb
Yes, they have bigger and rounded heads compared to the other subspecies. On the other hand I keep them terrestrial though once a lot of rain got inside the terrarium by accident. I was surprised to find them underwater as fish in the water. I still keep them terrestrial. As my aduts cyreni are breeding again I will give a try by keeping some of the new juveniles completely acquatic.
I will inform about their success
Best wishes
Yago

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1