Ohio Turtle Keeper Robbed (Hope mods let this slide).

J

joan

I'm posting this because I know quite a few people that frequent here are from the eastern US and keep more than just caudates.

> Hi Guys...it is me...Turtle Lady...
>
> Recently I have had a number of animals stolen from my property in
> Columbus Ohio...
>
> Among them..
>
> 2 cherryheaded redfoots,
>
> 1 golden greek
>
> 3 large redfoot torts...
>
> 3 yellowfoot torts
>
> 1 very large russian
>
> 4 medium Russians
>
> 3 blandings,
>
> eastern box, don't know how many yet..about 10.. I think ...but some
> are buried
>
> 3 spotted,
>
> 3 wood..
>
> We believe it was done by someone who knew exactly what they were taking, and are now out of state for sale......the Ohio turtles are pit tagged, a couple of them may be traced to arrowhead rescue, and then to me.. ...but most would be traced to me...I hope that if you come across any suspicious deals, or hear of anyone recently "finding" a cool turtle, you will contact me...over $4500 dollars in animals have been taken, and I am hopeful that they will show up on someone's sales/adoption list. A few of them have been

> with me for over 20 years. ...I don't think that anyone in my own neighborhood would do this...especially because most of the children in the neighborhood have visited the turtle yard, and seem to respect and care about my animals..I do educational programs here
> in Ohio, and have sent out a similar letter to all the teachers/principals and parks who I visit�I have not called the police because they would not do more than I am doing right now..and because I do not want to call more attention to the sanctuary�.....
>
> It is not even about the money..I am concerned about the animals I have been caring for all these years..Most of these animals cannot tolerate Ohio winter, and will certainly die if they are just turned out.. One of these tortoises was given to me by the principal at
> Brookside Elem...he has a hole in the last scute on his back....(the turtle, not the principal) I know he will be heartbroken to hear that his turtle is gone..Some of the others have been Turtle Lady favorites at programs for the last few years.....two are on medication..I just want them back...I am sad and hurt...and I want them back. the reason we believe it is "pro" is because of the ones they took.....certainly they were not taken for beauty.but by
> speicies.... if a child were to have been involved I would have known by now...the spotted and blandings were in a special location up against my home ..the others in the turtle yard.....for 15 years I have gone on trust and good faith....and everything has been
> fine....the last couple of weeks of summer�..lots of people ..(friends of friends) have been visiting...my thought is that someone who I trusted may have innocently mentioned my animals to the wrong person...ODNR knows they are here...perhaps someone who
> works there mentioned my guys to someone....I don't know...all I know is if they were trying to get rid of them anywhere in Ohio in the last week or two...I would have heard about it by now..... Thanks for reading this, and please keep your eyes and ears opened
> for me�.this changes who I am, and how I feel about what I do...Thanks so much� know that I appreciate it a lot...nanc...
>
> TURTLELADYNANCY @ aol.com

I heard about this. This really is quite a shame. I remember reading the article about her in Reptiles Magazine several years ago. I hope whoever did this gets caught and the turtles and tortoises are safely returned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back