Keep your eyes on the road!

P

paris

i recently went out on the roads with my camera -so i could show you guys what i see-i can spot tigers at 25 MPH. alot of these unfortunate animals are killed on the roads during and after rainstorms. by morning most are eaten off the roads by scavengers. many people -my mom included- say they never see these animals on the roads -and i have pictures here to show how hard it is to spot them. some of the roads these were taken on were 55 MPH zones -others are 25 MPH zones.
here is a western spadefoot toad -these have a habit of hopping a short distance then sitting in one spot to regain their strength -i have seen tires pass within inches of a sitting one and it didnt even move. the way these toads sit on the roads is distinctive-i can tell a spade foot from a woodhouse toad at first glance in my windshield.

18265.jpg

the other promenant toad around here is the woodhouse toad -its rather large -some females can be up to 4 inches Sv length. these will sometimes rest on roads-but usually they are seen in progress across them.

18266.jpg

an unusual one on the roads -seen only once in a while are the leopard frogs-these also will just sit there on the roads to rest up -their leap is so great though that they can easily just lunge out from the grass and get hit by a car that has no chance of seeing it.
18267.jpg

here is the same frog in my hand-to show how big it is
18268.jpg

finally here are some pictures of tigers to show you how hard they are to see -even if you are looking for them. this is what i see through my windshield -my headlights are on! can you see it??
18269.jpg

here it is closer up
18270.jpg

these two show how well the tigers blend into the tarmac

18271.jpg

18272.jpg

even with my flash on-this tiger is easy to see -but can you make out its feet?
18273.jpg

here is what they do when you approach them-this is the unken reflex -i have more pictures of this in the species specific section for tiger salamanders.
18274.jpg

(Message edited by paris on July 19, 2004)

Those pics are just fascinating!!! Thanks for sharing Paris!

Paris,
That is awesome. Now I know when to be more cautious. Thanks for sharing the info.
Nic
smile7.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back