Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of water flow do fire bellies like?

A

alex

Do fire belly newts prefer calm still water of faster moving water? I am planing on putting a under gravel filter and a submersible pump rate at 64 gph is this two much water movement??

A

abrahm

This one should probably be in the Help section. The firebelly newt, Cynops orientalis, prefers still calm waters. You will want to be careful when you buy your firebelly newt as their are a variety of species, some territorial and aggressive, that are sold as firebelly newts also. Make sure you know what you are buying.

Here's some care sheets for you to peruse:
Cynops orientalis

and these guys are often sold as firebelly newts:
Pachytriton labiatus, the paddle-tail newt

As far as your filtration goes, you will probably not want to use too powerful of a filter. The chinese firebelly does not like a current and even if the newt did like the current, a powerful filter often produces quite a bit of heat. Make sure you check the wattage of your filter and go for one with the lowest wattage you can find. The Duetto series filters are often recommended here as they are very low wattage and have an adjustable flow rate.

I would also recommend against undergravel filters. They tend to pull waste products and other detritus under the plates where it will foul the water. You'll have to break down the tank occassionaly to clean this out.

Good luck with your new newt(s). We have a lot of answers here and we're willing to help you set up the perfect enclosure for your animals.

TJ

Reaction score
To add to what Abrahm said, the term "fire belly newt" is confusing because while it's usually used to refer to the genus Cynops, it is also used by pet shops for the genus Paramesotriton and even the genus Pachytriton. These animals have different requirements, to a greater or lesser extent. Cynops species (like the commonly sold C. orientalis) require still water, while Pachytriton species are stream dwellers. Paramesotriton is somewhere in the middle (they can sometimes found in ponds but usually in streams). Even in the same genus, the requirements or preferences of the different species sometimes vary.

So have a look at this page:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Salamandridae.shtml

...and let us know what species you have
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1