Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Blueprints

T

tyler

These are the blueprints for a tank that I plan to house a salamander in. The tank is a 10 gallon tank. Let me know what you think, especially about the plastic tube cave. I can use all the advice I can get.

55525.jpg

K

kylee

i think its fantastic!
i myself have never housed a salamander .. but I think it looks nice.
The plastic tube idea I am also going to try in a day or two when i set up my new tank!
Great minds think a like
happy.gif

J

joseph

I think that the salamander would still feel exposed in that hiding place unless the room was dark or perhaps if red glass was inserted(not sure if it applies to sals but lots of animals can't see red light). What species by the way?

T

tyler

I'm not quite sure what kind of salamander yet. Whatever I can get my hands on I guess. I'd like to get a Tiger Salamander, but they might be illegal in Oregon. Yeah I thought of the tube problem too, I was thinking that he/she might like the cave more if I threw in some material that he can burrow into or a toy.

ali

Reaction score
If you get a tiger sal, I think they are the ones that like to burrow in the bedding, so it might uproot your tube anyway.

H

hayden

Tiger Sals burrow into the soil as well as any other terrestrial Ambystomatid but I think the tube would stay in place as long as it was siliconed in and not just lying in the tank. Make sure if you do decide to go with the tube to silicone it 48 hours before you put it any bedding material or water.

(Message edited by boynewt1 on March 14, 2006)

T

tyler

I was planning on using the weight of the soil to hold the tube in place.

J

jim

If your sally feels exposed in his tube you can cover the glass with black paper and just remove it when you want to check him out. I know this works well with tiger sals. Good luck!

H

hayden

I have a feeling the weight of the soil wouldn't keep the tube pressed tightly against the glass and would let light in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1