Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

International Amphib Day 05

A

alex

Hi, can anyone give me any info on international ampib day. I am almost definitely (spelling?) going and was wondering what it will be like. Also, do you have to stay in the hotel, b/c I have relatives there. One more thing, what types of amphibs are commonly for sale. I'm looking for new stock, but my local rep show doesn't have much.
Thanks,
Alex

J

jennifer

Hi Alex, IAD is a great time. There is a continuous series of talks that go on during the show, plus opportunities for meeting people. You certainly don't have to stay at the hotel. If you are looking for frogs, you'll find a great selection of new stock.
angry.gif
If you are looking for caudates, you'll find a few (assuming that Paris gets there).
wink.gif
There may also be some caudates offered by Mike Shrom or by me (or by other people I don't know about). By the way, the animals at the show are all captive bred, so be prepared to get small ones.

(Message edited by jennewt on October 11, 2004)

E

edward

At this time, Dr. Max Nickerson has committed to come and speak on hellbender conservation as part of the caudate portion. I will talking about amphibian nutrition and how little we really know.

Ed

E

edward

You don't have to stay in the hotel its just more convient when the late night talks run down as your room is that much closer.
Ed

A

alex

The problem is I don't know if I can drag my parents along. I'll be 14 then. Do you think it will be a problem if I don't have an adult?

J

jennifer

You can certainly attend all the events by yourself. There are other teens there too. You just need a way to GET there
bowl.gif

I

ira

speaking of hotels, has anyone begun to make arrangements to split rooms to cut down on costs?

dot

Reaction score
Ira -

I'd definitely be down with splitting the cost of hotel rooms, and I believe Kaysie said that if she's able to come, she'd be into splitting as well. If you're not weirded out by sharing a room, let me know.

Some hotels do a group discount on multiple rooms, so if anyone else is interested in cutting costs for IAD, let me know and I'll try to figure out arrangements.
happy.gif

E

edward

You may want to wait a little bit before making reservations as the IAD committee just got the quote for the rooms and is still setting up the block for the conference (just so you can get the correct rate).

Ed

K

kaysie

Dot is correct in that I'd be glad to split a room. I'm also not adverse to cramming extra people in a room (I'm used to sleeping on the floor). If I drive to IAD, we can also get a room a little further away, usually cheaper that way.

I

ira

i am defintaly going to be driving, and have a minivan, so i can shuttle quite a few people to and from the convention. So anyone that flies wont really have to worry about transportation.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Their is a Red Roof Inn right down the road. Last year I commuted. This year I'll be getting a room at the conference center. Their should be no problem for teenage participants. I think Justin Yeager was about 13 the first time he went. The lectures are fairly late Saturday night so you will have to double check your schedule. Some people even come in their pajamas.

K

kaysie

I'm a late-night kind of person. I'm more comfortable sharing a room with those over 18 (Dot is, Ira, I think you are). I don't know if Paul (not scary Paul) is coming with me yet or not. But its still something like 180 days away.

E

edward

Hi Kaysie,
If you are a late night kind of person then you will like the informal talks in the lobby. Some years those chats have run until 5 AM.

Ed

E

edward

I think (stress think) the rate that the IAD committee has be quoted is $89 a night.

Ed

K

kaysie

Have they put out a price for anything else (i assume the $89 was for the room)?

E

edward

The rest of the prices should be settled in the next couple of weeks (yes that was the room price).

Ed

P

paris

i just checked the school schedule-the date april 29-may 1 is during dead week (week before finals) so i can plan to go again, yay!

despite my image - i am just too old to party all night (esp. after being up all night before cleaning tanks and making sure everyone is ok to be left for 3 days) - i think i'll camp with the quiet 'geezer' crowed.

...michael,
some people wear pajamas any time though...

dot

Reaction score
I don't know what's around the hotel, etc. but if a bunch of us will be there, maybe we could all meet up at a restaurant the night before for dinner and meet 'n greet for those of us who have yet to have the pleasure of meeting other caudata.org people?

K

kaysie

Dot, that sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering just how many people are going (IE: How many can we cram into a room?). I figure if we get a hotel down the road, and split the price between 5 or 6 people (okay, so that'd be pretty cramped, but i figure we wouldnt be there except for sleeping (depending on the lecture schedules)), then we'd each have to pitch in $30 ($10,3 nights) for the room.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!