Amphibians in home... Is a crime?!?!

R

rafael

In Brazil, according to federal laws, newts and salamanders how pet is a crime... In others countries too??

(my english is very poor... Sorry...)

Ahh, i have a 5 Cynops orientalis, 1 Pleurodeles waltl, 4 Triturus cristatus and various Ambystoma mexicanum hehehehe
angel.gif

Seems like you have a nice collection there, good luck! and welcome again.

Its not a crime really in the USA to have them, but when it comes to selling, its hard to figure that out.. some states they cannot be sold/collected, and some states don't care. Anyone from Europe want to give me an idea of the laws over there, especially Italy, as I am considering moving there....

Well you can't collect, keep or breed any native species here but then in Lazio you can keep alpestris and in Sicily I heard you can keep all native species so it's a bit of a mess. Where about are you going to move to?

Interesting Francesco
so there aren't local laws in Sicily? and regarding alpestris apuanus... I thought that were a hardly protected newt in Italy...

Here in Georgia, you can't keep native species as pets, but you can sell them as fishing bait.

Some sort of communication failure between the conservation branch and the "hook and bullet" branch of the Department of Natural Resources.
sad.gif

as bait?? oh god thats horrible. Thats so unessesary.....

My girlfriend's mom's boyfriend has a family villa in southern Italy, they want us to move with them, mainly beacuse my country is horrible and I am ashamed to call myself an American... (sigh) Sorry everyone that is going to hate me for saying this, but I actually don't like telling people where I am from, and when I travel, I am going to tell everyone I am Canadian.

Ruben- I'm not sure about sicily i only read it on an italian forum, a bloke that lived over there said it. As for alpestris apuanus I think it's protected in tuscany liguria and emilia romagna but not in lazio cos the law was made before the discovery of the presence of apuanus in lazio. Still you can't sell them!

actually I've just checked my book and it says that apuanus was discovered in lazio in 1981 whilst the law was made in 1988. Unfortunately it doesn't give any explanation on why it's not on he list of protected species
sad.gif

In Brazil, we can't collect (except for research with autorization), keep or breed any native or exotic amphibian species... Except Rana catesbiana...

This species move very amounts of money...

Same monetary consideration applies to the various Ambystoma (and other) species that gather in vernal ponds here. It somehow seems unfair that the little guys I'm observing can be scooped up in seines and sold as bait, but I can't take 'em home.

Even though there's still large enough populations to make this financially viable I'd like to see it stopped. I've asked the DNR and my State representative to address this, but it's probably not on the top of their To Do List...

Francesco

amazing, I didn't know it. Could be really interesting to see how are and what kind of biotopes occurs T. alpestris apuanus in Lazio.

Moreover I've been living the last year in Sicily and I've heard that people reported newts to some mountain lakes. Did you hear something about this?

They live in a couple of mountain lakes here in lazio. Sadly there aren't many left because of people collecting them and because of the competition with t. carnifex
sick.gif

Some people say S. gigliolii can be found in Sicily but I reckon it's a mith.

I have been told by a reliable source that Salamandra are found on the island of Sicily.
He spent some time there looking for them, with no success, but was assured by the foresters that they they do exist.

Hi all, we (Sergé Bogaerts and myself) went to Sicily for Salamandra but didn't find them. However, local people do know them and there are indications that they do occur in the Monti Nebrodi... We went there in April but it was ice cold. Quite exciting and tempting.

I have been many times in Nebrodi mountains during the last year, but I didn't see giglioli... anyway, the great beech forests there are an optimal biotope surely

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back