Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Longevity

caleb

Reaction score
Someone mentioned in another thread that newts live for up to 20 years, and it made me think how old some of mine are... The oldest I have are two female alpine newts that are 14 this year (I was given them as larvae in 1989).

Can anyone better this?

And by the way, there's a list of urodele longevities at:
http://www.pondturtle.com/lsala.html

J

jennifer

I have one eastern newt (N. v. dorsalis) that I obtained as a WC adult in 1983. I started with about 12 of them and this is the last one left, so I think this one is probably pushing the upper limit of lifespan for these guys.

A

aaron

I bet I have the youngest newts.
happy.gif
Can anyone beat just hatched this afternoon?

~Aaron

caleb

Reaction score
Hi Jen.

20 years is pretty impressive... and if they were adults to start with, that's 23+ presumably. Is it still healthy? My aged alpines are as active as the younger ones, but are quite skinny, and won't seem to put on weight.

J

jennifer

She looks quite normal, but big for an eastern (5"/13 cm). She is as plump as any of the others. The old ones get very long tails (seemingly longer in proportion to their body size).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!