Salamanders in resin on eBay

yeah i saw the key chain assortment before- i wonder if they are destroyed for this or if its creative use of deceased specimens. i guess one could write them to find out.

Well, if you look at the paper weights alone, you'll see that this person says he/she has 30 available in one size and 38 in the other. He/she is either a very bad keeper of newts to have gone through 68 of them and more, or they're being destroyed for this specific purpose. Pretty sick...
violent.gif

I beg no one will allow dog in resin or cat in resin. Howcome amphibians are being treated unfairly. Terrible...

Whats wrong with this guy. The newts dont even look like they died and then put in resin. Does it? I mean in the second pic the newt is turing around as if trying to get away. The things people do for money!

I personally think the newt and snake specimens look in very poor condition. I don't know what the practice is, but they do this at Carolina Biological supply, I think. Preserving specimens for scientific/educational reasons seems reasonable, but this looks like for novelty reasons. I thought about saving some of my newts that have passed away for analysis at a later date, but have not done it yet. I know some keepers freeze their newts and after a while, they are pretty much freeze dried for storing. Where do you draw the line. Some folk get their dog or cats stuffed after death. That would be creepy! To each is own.

I'm guessing that some small enterprise in China or maybe Hong Kong is churning these things out and exporting them. Basically, if a product is legal and there's a market for it, there's nothing to stop warped people lacking compassion from making money out of it. The thing I find hard to comprehend is how there could be a market for something as grotesque as this in a country like the United States where these are being sold.

The sheer scale and variety of cruelty to animals in Asia, and China in particular, is truly incredible -- boiling and skinning animals alive, torturing and eating dogs and cats, etc. It's easily dismissed as a cultural difference, but I personally find it abominable. Not that Western countries are all that much better with their disgusting factory farming practices, lobster boilings, foei gras, mulesling, father-and-son prairie dog shoots, etc.

All things considered, maybe there is a Western market for dead salamanders in resin paperweights after all...
uhoh.gif

Al, I went to a herp conference a couple of years ago and met a couple guys who operate a business that does just that, they turn people's dearly beloved herps into a free-dried form using a special process. Several animals were on display --chameleons, snakes, etc. -- and it was really impressive. I can think of a few newts I've lost in the past that I would have liked to have preserved like this, though it is a bit creepy as you say.

If the paperweights are indeed using live newts, then that'd be beyond creepy though. I did of wonder if maybe a C. orientalis wholesaler might have decided to make money off the ones that died in transit. But having been often to China/HK and seen live animals (frogs, turtles, etc.) being sliced and diced right there in the market, without being "dispatched" first, I doubt the people involved in this resin business would hesitate to use live newts and other animals.

(Message edited by TJ on December 21, 2005)

actually, if I am a business man, I would think that I can make more money out of a resin C.O. paperweight than a live one. In fact I dont think the business man would know what a C.O. is. But at least Resin is dead, you dont have to take care of that.

Anyhow, even I am chinese myself (though grew up in a British Colony), I do think that people are being too cruel to animals in the Mainland. Or even just at the China Town in Canada, I have seen many creepy things as well.

I remember that when years ago, I was at the market in the china town and they have a Tortoitse chopped head off alive. But the head was still alive and moving after the head was chopped for a long while. I felt and still feel sorry for that animals. ...

that's some pretty sick <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>.

Yeah. Everybody Knows That Bonsai Kitten Thing is a Hoax. Its been around for ages.

Yes, a quite old hoax. However the idea is terrifying...I bet some idiot somewhere decides to try something like that out.

I had some "friends"(we had a french class together in Poitiers) from southern china that described the eating of the brain of small monkeys(primates anyway) while they where still alive, tied down and and screaming their asses off. They claimed they had seen it. That shook me. I still hope that I misunderstood or that they were just communicating a rumor.

(Message edited by Jesper on December 25, 2005)

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Jesper Danielsson wrote on Sunday, 25 December, 2005 - 22:20 :</font>

""<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote><blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Jesper Danielsson wrote on Sunday, 25 December, 2005 - 22:20 :</font>

"I had some "friends"(we had a french class together in Poitiers) from southern china that described the eating of the brain of small monkeys(primates anyway) while they where still alive, tied down and and screaming their asses off. They claimed they had seen it. That shook me. I still hope that I misunderstood or that they were just communicating a rumor. "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> no it is not a rumor my dad viseted china and he watched this happen also

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back