Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Profanities

J

jesper

Yo John, what about turning down the level of heat
cry.gif
on the profanity filter. I have only met polite people here and people named d-i-c-k
biggrin.gif
are discriminated. S-h-i-t
smile7.gif
is a very useful word by the way which I would like to be able to use. I think users who utilize too much profanities would be better dealt with by a warning
violent.gif
. I somehow dont think that will be neccessary....ever judging by the character of newtloving people
shocked.gif

Aint I the liberal!
proud.gif

E

elisabeth

I agree with you Jesper. All the people that have posted so far seem like fairly educated and upstanding people who don't really use any profanity. I think the filter isn't necessary.

J

jesper

People named Dick can now proudly post their name on this forum!
U the man John.
Thanks

J

jesper

Yo John, the filter is still on in some parts of the forum!
biggrin.gif

C

coen

One question.. why would educated people turn to the use of profanity? :p

J

jesper

Profanities are good, they are the spice of languages. However too much spice and nobody can eat whatever u r cooking.
Used properly they enrich!

I have another question Coen:
Why would educated people not use profanities?

J

jesper

Btw is the form profanities wrong?
One profanity several profanities??
Ive only seen/heard people use the profanity form...
Is it several profanity?? Doesnt work well with my "languagefeeling"...
Sorry but English isnt my mothertongue.

C

coen

It isn't my mothertongue either. However...I'm not against profanities, I was just wondering why people would use them here. Except for the name "Dick" ofcourse but that's just a 'handicap' in the profanities filter. I'd say the filter encourages people to use other words that are more proper and/or sensible.

N

nate

I agree Coen, I think the filter is necessary to avoid abuse. Profanities are are not the spice of languages in my opinion, rather they are the saturated fats and of language.

J

jesper

There would be no life without saturated fats Nate...so ur metaphor is accurate. What would membranes be without saturated fats?
I guess u r talking about saturated fats in everyday life? Well the bad reputation is only due to overconsumption. Exactly the same thing with profanity. So its an extremely fine metaphor indeed, only problem is that it shows the opposite of what u intended it to nate. Profanity is a vivid part of human behaviour.

Tell me how often have there been abuse in this forum??
I strongly disagree with pre-emptive measures.

J

jesper

Well Coen, I believe there is a myth that says if u use profanities u lack the proper words to say what u intended to. That is simply not true.
Why not use them here? They are a part of the language. A lot of the profanities describe everyday things like a stronger form of everyday things: litter - <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> etc. They are a nuance of the language and contribute just like every other word, its just that this society cracks down upon them.
Several of the so called profanities are really ancient words that has been so good that they are the only part of that language that has been preserved.

N

nate

Profanity is not a vivid part of my behavior, and I fail to see how discussions on newts and salamanders would even remotely require or somehow be enriched by the use of any profane word. You certainly have not given any worthwhile example either. Why would someone need to use a stronger word for "litter" or "droppings" or "feces" here? It's ridiculous.

I feel profanity is at best a crutch for people who lack the vocabulary to express themselves or have anything worthwhile to say in the first place...a cheap trick to draw attention to what they have to say. At worst, it's a means of abuse and brings the intellectual level of this forum down several notches and potentially turns new users off to the forum. Not to mention the fact that many young children do come here. There's far more reasons not to allow it than to allow it. So why not preempt?

M

matthew

"I feel profanity is at best a crutch for people who lack the vocabulary to express themselves or have anything worthwhile to say in the first place... "

Wasn't one of the greatest experts on profanity - a man who coined so many new ones - Shakespeare?
Guess he had nothing worthwhile to say and needed a communication crutch.

Sorry - Nate - couldn't resist. Just trying to bring the "intellectual level of the forum" up a notch. But I may just be talking <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> :)

J

jennifer

Jesper, when you are speaking to children, or elderly grandparents, do you use profanity in front of them? I think this forum should be a place that all persons (regardless of age) feel comfortable. If we need a filter to accomplish this, then let the filter be. I would favor modifying it,though, so that men named Richard may use their nickname!

J

jesper

Ok Nate so profanity is not part of your behaviour. I actually thought that you would see beyond that prejudice. Sure a lot of people do use profanity as you say, but its the intension that is bad then not the profanity in itself. A knife is not necessarily bad, but when used to kill someone it tends to be looked upon as bad.

Please dont correlate profanity with stupidity, that is a grand mistake.
The example given was a general one not specific for this forum. The point with this discussion is that everybody should be free to use the words that reflect their state of mind, the more words there are to choose from the more accurately one can express oneself.

I think children should be exposed to profanity, it is a natural part of society and if it wouldnt be so tabu it wouldnt be as misused as it is today. Use of pre-emtive measures is generally bad, the principle of hitting someone because you think he WILL hit you is craziness. It is the difference between anarchy and order. That is how society looked like long ago, since then we have learned(western hemisphere,ok not the USA or Israel) that those ideas can only be used when objective evidence is provided as proof of intent.

I am talking about the principle not the practical perspective you put on this matter Nate.
I have never understood moralepolices, how can one put ones own opinion of morale and try to force it on others. Morale is a soft variable not a hard one, there are no absolutes.

N

nate

"But I may just be talking •••• :)"

Matt, no maybe about it...

Shakespeare was one of the greatest artistic thieves anyway and needed to take credit for the writings of others...but that is neither here nor there now is it?
artist.gif

An expert on profanity...coining new profanities...we hobbyists here at the forum can only aspire to such lofty, noble goals.
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!